Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Sucky Customers

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 01:33 PM
Never surpassed.

Quote:
Quoth mathnerd View Post
At least with food stamps you can just swipe a card like a debit or credit card
And, the modern "SNAP"-type cards can be used in any state (ditto Red Cross emergency-assistance cards); not so with vouchers.
FFXIV:ARR - Erickei Dunsinae, BLM on Sargatanas

Old 07-28-2013, 01:38 PM
Unassuming Radish

Most of our WIC customers have items organized by check, signed the checks in advance to save a little time...I'll always notify them of savings when I can (the store card may be the difference between being just under and way over the allowed $ on a fresh-produce check).
Quote:
Quoth Seshat View Post
The person who CAN get them changed is the minister (or whatever the appropriate politician is called) in charge of the relevent department. Write/email to them.
This is my standard reply whenever a WIC/EBT SC gets shouty....shockingly, I don't think they ever do (because the ones who are loud about it know they're breaking the rules/law and don't want to report themselves). The WIC SCs are rarer now, thankfully.
Quote:
Quoth XRogue View Post
It's the entitled ones that get to me. FIVE WIC vouchers on an express? Really now....
This is why I believe my store should enforce no checks or WIC on an express lane. At least until we get updated hardware that doesn't take forever to endorse the check.

I'm not sure why WIC can't just be combined with EBT/SNAP on the card...right, I have no idea how that would actually work (it would have to have some way of verifying the items, otherwise it assumes that everyone will be honest...)

Last edited by Dreamstalker; 07-28-2013 at 01:48 PM.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:41 PM
USPS Q&A Person...Sometimes

Quote:
Quoth mathnerd View Post
but WIC is just a long, tedious process that just screams "I'm not financially independent", which for some people, isn't something they want advertised.
Around here WIC isn't seen as used by people who aren't financially independent. (Which I take a bit of offense to.) it is seen as being able to give the child a more nutritious start since WIC and discounted child care appointments usually go hand in hand.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:52 PM
Cashier

Agree with Aethian, it's just helping the kids get a good start in life, don't mind that at all. It's the ones that get entitled about it that bug me, and really, that applies to all SC's which is why CS exists.

I also agree with Dreamstalker, other stores in my area put a sign on express saying no WIC in big capitals with exclamation points, AND the cashier is allowed to enforce that. Politely, and allowed to call in management if the customer gets shouty. It works too, those stores have politer customers. And enforcing these things on customers will absolutely not drive them away. At least not in more than ones and twos. Those people who would leave are the ones who cost us good customers by being inconsiderate.

Totally right, WIC should be on a card like EBT. Texas does it that way, it works like a charm. Not sure if the EBT/SNAP and WIC offices would agree to all be on the same card (seems to me that might open up fraud) but hey, that's a matter for them to duke out, I'm just the gal manning the cash point. Don't care how they'd conglomerate or not, just having it on an electronic card would be great.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:10 PM
Where's my handbasket?

WIC and EBT/SNAP are run by different departments of the government so they can't be combined onto one card. Not everyone who qualifies for one qualifies for the other either and can you imagine if the cards got mixed up being reloaded? Here in Nevada it is a plastic card and there is no sorting out the WIC stuff needed as long as you know what is on your card or have money to cover if it's not (no digging to find the items).

The bad part? Walmart is the only one who has it built into the regular registers. Safeway and the commissary both have separate machines that have to be used and the Safeway one never works right because of their store card.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:16 PM
Bagger

See, way back when I was on WIC it didn't really do much for me. It was only for milk(too much of it), formula (which I didn't need at all), IIRC some type of cereal (a crap ton), and no actual fruits or veggies. They said I couldn't approved for that till my daughter was much older.

So I stopped because it was more trouble for me that it was worth. I mean, I didn't even know enough people to give the excess to.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:57 PM
Chairman of the Board

Quote:
Quoth BroSCFischer View Post
I was made a Front End Monitor because the store was starting something new with WIC checks. They HAD to be checked and approved by the FEM. This lasted all of about 6-8 weeks, before the customers complained to WIC, and WIC told the store they couldn't do that anymore as it amounted to discrimination.
WTF? From what I've seen on CS (never been a cashier), if the store does ANYTHING wrong on a WIC voucher, it doesn't get reimbursed AT ALL. It's only logical to have a designated person check it out to make sure it's done properly - how is that discrimination?

Of course, it could be the government department wanting to save some money by trying to keep stores from double-checking, resulting in more "error" WIC transactions that the government wouldn't have to reimburse.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:24 PM
Unassuming Radish

Quote:
Quoth XRogue View Post
other stores in my area put a sign on express saying no WIC in big capitals with exclamation points, AND the cashier is allowed to enforce that. Politely, and allowed to call in management if the customer gets shouty. It works too, those stores have politer customers. And enforcing these things on customers will absolutely not drive them away. At least not in more than ones and twos. Those people who would leave are the ones who cost us good customers by being inconsiderate.
Not according to my manager I think we get such a large concentration of crazy because the other stores DO enforce rules (no checks on express, etc) and the nuts find out my store will put up with anything and so come here.

I know I've taken it upon myself to make up signs for express (no checks, 12 items or less, WIC transactions are up to the cashier) and selfscan (no WIC or checks) that are approved by one manager and then nixed by another because it's "bad customer service".

Old 07-28-2013, 07:20 PM
Area Manager

I think my biggest gripe about people using WIC was the ones who would groan and snap about my needing to see their WIC folder. In my state, if you do not do this as a cashier...well, you aren't supposed to do the transaction, period, without it.

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Old 07-28-2013, 09:11 PM
IS SERIOUS NOW

Quote:
Quoth wolfie View Post
WTF? From what I've seen on CS (never been a cashier), if the store does ANYTHING wrong on a WIC voucher, it doesn't get reimbursed AT ALL. It's only logical to have a designated person check it out to make sure it's done properly - how is that discrimination?

Of course, it could be the government department wanting to save some money by trying to keep stores from double-checking, resulting in more "error" WIC transactions that the government wouldn't have to reimburse.
It's a government program; what else can you expect? It has to be as confusing and contradictory as possible. It's in the Constitution or something.

People on the program shouldn't be made to feel bad because they're tying up the lines at the registers. Likewise stores shouldn't be pressured to rush WIC customers through so they don't feel singled out, and end up making mistakes that lead to loss of reimbursement.

There are probably many ways to make the program easier and more user-friendly for stores and the people using it, but that makes sense, so it isn't allowed.

I am wrought with emotion! OH HEY LOOK AT MY BUTT CHEEKS!-- The Oatmeal

Last edited by Irving Patrick Freleigh; 07-28-2013 at 09:15 PM.
Closed Thread