This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The straw

As many of you may know, I've been working two jobs for the past 3 weeks now.

I put a full 40 hours in at one job, and 20-25 in at the other job plus going to school full-time. Now, I normally have Friday nights off with my part-time job, and a closing Friday night shift is usually where you stay until 10:45. When it was offered to me I was told that I would not have to stay after 10, I could leave right at 10. So, I agreed to it.

I come in about 45 minutes early because I wanted to do some shopping quick. While I was talking with the Apple guy, I was told, "FL, hurry up and punch-in, J needs a lunch." This was at 5:30ish and I wasn't due in until 6.

So, I punched in and J comes up to me. "So, K said that if it's ok with you, I could leave at 9-9:15 and you would close." I told him that no, it was no ok because I wasn't closing tonight. (This is where I would normally give notice to the fact that I had already worked 8:30-5, but, I didn't want to make excuses.) He got pissy with me and stormed off.

He came back and goes, "I don't know why you can't stay an extra 45 minutes. I haven't had a day off this week" Now, I know that it isn't his fault that I have two jobs, but he's forgetting that I haven't had day off in 3 weeks.

I just shrugged it off and said "sorry".

So he goes on his lunch, comes back and dinks around with the GS for a bit. After about 15 minutes of him doing that (being away from our department for about an hour) I called him back over and told him I was going on a 15.

He goes, "honestly, you're not permitted to have a 15 due to the length of time you're actually working."

That's when I let him have it with both barrells.

Now, I know that both of us were on edge. We had someone cut down on their hours rather suddenly and another person quit rather suddenly. So, we were picking up hours that we didn't necessarily need nor want.

I have my new schedule for Hitachi already... I'll work Wed-Sat 3:30pm-2:30am. I will be putting in my two weeks at my part-time job after last night's tirade. I'm still mad about that one.
    When will the fantasy end? When will the heaven begin?

Yeah, he was being a twerp.

On a side note, I'm about to go to school full time (crosses fingers) and work full time at the same time. I cannot imagine how you can do a part time job on top of that! I'm already tired and I haven't even started school yet!

You got sterner stuff than my lazy butt, that's for sure *laugh*
    My dollhouse blog.

Blog about life

Comment

I have no idea how you could do that. I'm supposed to be going to school soon, too, but I don't think I'll be able to do it full-time and have a job. I'll probably still complain about it, too. Geez.

I would have told him right away how long it'd been since you'd had a day off, and tell him to stop complaining. Not that that ever works.

Comment

Quoth LewisLegion View Post
        On a side note, I'm about to go to school full time (crosses fingers) and work full time at the same time. I cannot imagine how you can do a part time job on top of that! I'm already tired and I haven't even started school yet!
        I'm going to be doing this in the fall also.. plus raising my son.

At least I know I can function on 4 hours of sleep or less, cuz thats probably what I'll be getting.

Comment

Quoth hawkchick11 View Post
          At least I know I can function on 4 hours of sleep or less, cuz thats probably what I'll be getting.
          I wish you the best of luck on that. But when you're only getting 4 hours of sleep because you're constantly working, dealing with people and expectations, it wears on you quicker.

I think I'll have to quit one job because I've noticed I've been crankier than usual. That's definitely not a good situation to be in. We'll see how it goes, but as of right now, it's not going well. I'm usually tired at like 7pm and the 14 hour days getting to me.

On another note, I actually did turn in a two-week notice at my part-time job on Saturday. Not to prove a point, but because I seriously had it at that point. My services manager goes, "we'll see about this". Then I had two floor managers and and a senior tell me that they can try and work something out for me. They won't let me quit.
          When will the fantasy end? When will the heaven begin?

Comment

Been doing the same thing as you, actually, for the last year and a half. It is tough as hell. I'm at my breaking point in terms of getting burned out. Hope you fare better than I do.

Comment

Quoth LewisLegion View Post
              Ah, good times. This last semester, I went to school full time (pharmacy tech) and worked 20 hrs/week (which is full-time for work-study) and that got hairy at times.

This semester (starts Monday!), I'll be going to school full-time (14hrs), working 20 hrs/week, and another 20 hrs/week for my clinical rotationss. Add in studying and I still haven't worked out when I'm going to be sleeping....or eating for that matter.
              It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Working...
              X