Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[LONG] He doesn't know how good he made me feel.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [LONG] He doesn't know how good he made me feel.

When I open up my own photo lab, I am NOT providing passport photos. I don't care how profitable they are; passport customers are by far the rudest, most impatient people on the face of the earth.

When I went to get my ID picture taken for my ATF permit, I devoted an entire afternoon to the process. It only took an hour (back then), so I had plenty of time left over to get the rest of my stuff taken care of.

Compare that to today's passport photo customer, who apparently doesn't realize that he needs a photo until he shows up 5 minutes before his appointment at the consulate, and so he needs his photo *NOW* or else he'll need to reschedule (my favorite saying is now, "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part").

I got a customer the other day who needed his passport photo five minutes ago. You know the type. He kept demanding to know when it would be finished, looking over my shoulder (or at least as well as he could from all the way over at the counter), reminding me that he was in a hurry, etc.

Now, normally I'm pretty good about getting passport photos done in 5 minutes or less -- when there are no other orders and the place is relatively quiet. On a busy Tuesday -- when we have no mid-shift, so it's me alone in the lab from 7 AM till around 2 PM, and during that time I take in and finish 80-100 orders -- 15 minutes is a pretty optimistic estimate.

I think you get the idea. This guy's being a real jerk, and I'm not particularly happy to help him. But the kicker comes when I sell him the finished pictures. He gives me a look and says, "I just want you to know that I had made plans around this, and you have ruined my day."

And all I could think was, "Hey, thanks! That actually makes me feel a little better!" Sometimes, customers know exactly what to say

Unfortunately, that's where the fun ended. He then complained to a manager that he had to wait 15 minutes for a passport photo (which is what it says on our sign, dumb@$$!), but you know how managers are. Especially at the store I'm working at now. We get an insane amount of business, and about 40-60% of it is tourists that we'll never see ever again. Yet the managers here are too afraid to stand up to customers.
    "At any time, for any reason and without any warning, a meteor could fall from the sky and kill us all."
    -- The Meteor Principle

Galbadia Hotel - Free Video Game Soundtrack Downloads

Quoth pbmods View Post
    (my favorite saying is now, "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part").
    don't you just love that saying?
    "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Quoth pbmods View Post
      He gives me a look and says, "I just want you to know that I had made plans around this, and you have ruined my day."

And all I could think was, "Hey, thanks! That actually makes me feel a little better!" Sometimes, customers know exactly what to say
      Ah, don't you love those little bonuses in your workday that aren't listed in your contract?

I usually think to myself, "Yaaaaaaay!!!! My job for the day is complete. I can now go about my other business." Only in my head, it's a lot wittier.
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

"Just aiming to please, sir"

Fortunately, my store manager would look at him with all incredulity and be most unkind. Not so nice when he's a pisser to you, but hilarious when he lets loose on someone else that deserves it

Comment

Quoth pbmods View Post
          He gives me a look and says, "I just want you to know that I had made plans around this, and you have ruined my day."
          "Wow! That was easy! My job here is done."
          WELCOME

Be Nice or I'll Make the Sun Go Away.

Comment

Quoth pbmods View Post
            "And yet, sir, somehow, the sun will rise again tommorrow, bringing forth a new day, filled to the brim with people who could ruin your day. I do nothing but appease the cosmic balance by ruining your day, allowing the daily cycle to continue."
            I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

He was in such a hurry yet still found time to complain to the manager.
              "Time shall help me face my painful memories with indifference, and with more of it, I won't feel the need to face them at all..."

Comment

it never fails to amaze me how planning out something important isn't worth their time, yet taking twice that amount of time to complain is...i love the logic.
                look! it's ghengis khan!
                Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Wow, I've never had those issues with Passport Photos - I'm sorry.

My main beef with a few of those customers is that they think they know the regulations better than us, and try to tell us what to do and how to do it, or question that the photos are ok once they get them.

Really, dude. We take from 2-8 of these *each* every day (gotta love the new regulations - EVERYONE is getting one now!). It's our job. The post office sends people here when their first set was screwed up by someone else. We DO know what we are doing!

Oh yeah, that and the ones from other countries. We are set up for USA photos only. Automated printing system. Other places can futz around with the size and borders - we can not. Go somewhere else.

Comment

Working...
                  X