X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Look the Other Way" Theft Thwarting

Inspired by this post.

This was about five years ago at the wholesale club. I'm working as FDLP, doing my job, which entails:

~ collecting empty water containers (5 gallon) and handing out vouchers for the $5 deposit on said containers
    ~ running interference at the food court when necessary
    ~ radioing up to the desk to give them the heads up on returns/exchanges
    ~ handing out keys to the motorized carts to the (apparently) disabled
    ~ child wrangling ("Hey, don't go out there! Where's your parents?")
    ~ receipt checking

This deals somewhat with the last item on that list. And please, this is not the thread to debate the legality of checking receipts. If you wanna do that, take it over to Fratching, 'cuz I don't really care. It's my job, and I'm not paid to question it.

This particular day, this family comes in, about seven people, including at least one little boy. The father (or at least the ringleader) was a late middle aged guy, overweight enough that he looked like he might have mobility problems. He asks to use one of the motorized carts. I give him the key.

A little while later, I look up toward the front line and see the family again, the father walking, and the little boy riding in the motorized cart. Now I get a little annoyed, given that the motorized carts Are Not Toys. I'm ready to radio up to ask the front line people to put a stop to that, but I see the family is heading toward the door, as if to leave, so I hold off on the radio so I can just tell them "It's not a toy, next time, don't let the kid ride the cart."

However, when the family comes up to the door, the father asks me about the vacation board up on the wall in the food court behind me. We turn around to regard the sign, he gesturing at it and asking questions, but I see the kid riding toward the door with the motorized cart -- and there's a flat panel LCD TV in it, laid flat.

I quickly stop the kid and ask the father if they have the receipt for the TV. Oh no, the father tells me, we're not done shopping yet. And the lot of them go back into the club, the kid still riding the motorized cart, and quite suddenly, all questions about the vacation board are forgotten.

I'm immediately suspicious about this, but I get a rush of customers before I can bring any of this to an MOD's attention.

About half an hour later, I've momentarily forgotten about the family, until they come up to the door, the kid still riding the motorized cart, and the group pushing two cart-loads of stuff. I look over the receipt, and notice the TV is still in the motorized cart's basket, and it's not on the receipt. I point this out, and the father assures me they're not getting that. I've punched their receipt by this point, and the kid gets up out of the cart and leaves it where it is in the middle of the floor, as the entire family leaves.

I take the TV out of the cart and stash it over by my station, out of sight, and park the cart so it can be recharged, then relay the entire story to an MOD, and then again later to the LPM.

I have since felt some pride about that day, given I'd stopped a fairly major theft from happening.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

good job!
    ANNIE

Every day I work with you is two days of therapy!!!!!

Comment

You Rock!!!
      And the sky was full of stars... and every star, an exploding ship, one of ours...

Comment

Nice one.
        "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Forgive me, but I honestly didn't know that some people consider checking of receipts to be illegal. I assumed (as I assumed most people do) that as long as I'm in your store, you have the right to check if what I'm carrying to my car was legally purchased.

Keep up the good work, and don't let the EW's get you down. Oh, and good score on the loss prevention.

Comment

Either you posted this before of someone else had the exact same thing happen to them. I'm too lazy to search for it though.

Comment

The nerve of some people! And he's teaching his kid that it's okay to try and pull a fast one on the store. Good for you for stopping it, Jay!
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth jerkface11 View Post
                Either you posted this before of someone else had the exact same thing happen to them. I'm too lazy to search for it though.
                Yeah, I may have mentioned this story once before, and I was too lazy to go look for it if I did. So apologies if I repeated a story.
                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Good stop. We had had people do the same thing, get cart, then let kid drive it. We always watch carefully when that happens.

Comment

Good job on the stop.

Comment

Quoth tendomentis View Post
                      Forgive me, but I honestly didn't know that some people consider checking of receipts to be illegal. I assumed (as I assumed most people do) that as long as I'm in your store, you have the right to check if what I'm carrying to my car was legally purchased.

Keep up the good work, and don't let the EW's get you down. Oh, and good score on the loss prevention.
                      http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...ad.php?t=37070

http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...ad.php?t=36927
                      There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Working...
                      X