This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• two left-turn lanes

Happened in Las Vegas, which while it isn't the worst place to drive in the US (that seems to be Chicago), it's pretty bad.

I'm sure you folks have been in intersections with more than one left-turn lane. This may require a teeny little bit of thought as to what lane you're going to turn into, but it's not rocket science.

It's bad enough when drivers making the turn cross into the other lane during the turn; that's already asking for an accident. It's a whole other level of stupidity when you make a U-turn from the right-side turn lane in front of whomever is turning in the left-side lane. When you're in a little economy car and the guy in the left-side lane (me) is driving a 1-ton pickup, you're daring death.

Yup, Ive seen a few cities where they wound up painting white dotted lines all the way through the intersection to show morons what lane they're supposed to be in.
    Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

Yeah, people do that all the time here (Vegas). I'm guilty myself, on many occations. But NEVER when there are people in the other left turn lane.
      "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

UGH! I hate these. They have them all over the place here. The painted lines help, if you're lucky Some streets have two right-turn lanes which is even worse. But to try to U-turn from the rightmost left turn lane? Probably the idiot realized at the last second that they had to turn around. But did they circle the block like a sane and legally-minded person would? Noooo, they were so terribly important that they decided to try to ignore traffic completely and go whichever way was easiest for them.
        !
        "For truth is always strange; stranger than fiction." -- Lord Byron

Comment

There's a major intersection where people do that here, too...The problem is, the offense is compounded by the presence of 2 or 3 highly visible NO U-TURN SIGNS in that very intersection (which apply to both lanes...)
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
            Happened in Las Vegas, which while it isn't the worst place to drive in the US (that seems to be Chicago), it's pretty bad.
            Chicago is not that bad. Illinois had mandatory Drivers Ed.

Atlanta - Cherokee word for "Land of bad drivers." You do not have to have Drivers Ed. to get your license.

When I saw the title of your post, I was thinking "I go through that every day." Then I saw U-turn.

You win.

One of the intersections with the double left that I go through, is just before the highway entrance. At least half the cars in the left lane, dive across into the right lane to get on the highway.
            Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
            Save the Ales!
            Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Double left turn lanes are around Long Island like crazy. One intersection (Suffolk County people, it's 83 and the EB LIE service road) even has triple left turn lanes.

Comment

yes! With the right-turn lanes! Somehow, they seem to confuse people around here more than two lefts!

But around here, they DO paint the lines for the lefts. Maybe that's why people don't understand the rights...

Just this weekend, we had two right-turn lanes onto a road that had two lanes of travel (divided road, that is, two lanes going each way) and a left-turn lane.

I'm in the left RIGHT turn lane, and some numbnuts in one of those enormous plastic pickups is in the RIGHT right-turn lane.

So we're clear to turn, and we come out and what does numbnuts do, but wander into the LEFT lane of travel, forcing me into the turn lane. And THEN he floors it as I drop back to get into my LANE OF TRAVEL, so that he can pass me and get into the turn lane.

Idiot is lucky I had someplace to be that day; I could've just dropped it back enough to put my bumper through his driver's side door and let HIS insurance pay for it all. I need a new headlight casing on that side anyway.

Whhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyy are turn lanes so HARD for people to understand?
                "Joi's CEO is about as sneaky and subtle as a two year old on crack driving an air craft carrier down Broadway." - Broomjockey

Comment

....in my defense...growing up and in the areas that i learned to drive in, there were no such thing as double-turn-lanes (that is to say, two left-turn lanes, three right-turn lanes, etc) there were straight, turn, or straight-or-turn lanes, but usually there was only one lane used for turning...my friend pointed it out to me that you can't for example use the rightmost right turn lane and then drive straight into the leftmost lane on the other road...i didn't realize that was illegal until she pointed it out to me...

I apologise for my ignorance!!

Comment

Somehow I think that if you had a car beside you, you'd at least try not to drive into them
                    "Joi's CEO is about as sneaky and subtle as a two year old on crack driving an air craft carrier down Broadway." - Broomjockey

Comment

the couple of times i did it there wasn't a car there...and there were no lines...the thought never crossed my mind that i might have crossed a line because THERE WAS NO LINE....

Last edited by WhiteRose; 06-09-2009, 03:31 PM. Reason: emote gets true tone across

Comment

Like I said, rule of thumb is if you're in the left-most lane, left turn into the left-most lane. If you're in the right left-turn lane, turn into the lane closest to the curb.
                        "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

Driver's Ed: It should be more educational.

I never learned half of these rules and niceties and common-sense-esque things...I DID learn that my driver's ed teacher liked to eat salad from a bowl while driving, and that if you let someone else rear-end you then THEY have to pay...I was told that by a few people: don't worry about the people behind you if people in front of you are being asshats. kinda sucky if you ask me...and the worst part is: if there is a three or more car pileup, the LAST person to hit everyone's insurance is responsible for ALL cars...

Comment

There is one triple right turn lane at the intersection of a interstate off ramp and a busy triple lane highway.

It's no right on red at this one. Sometimes, when I stop at that light and the right turners go and turn, I see people wanted to go from the inside right lane try to turn into the middle or far left lane and um....that just doesn't work. Many wrecks have happened because people are idiots. I realize that they might need to be in that far left lane to make an upcoming turn, but they should have gone to that lane to make the turn in the first place. You don't have right of way to all lanes when you are turning. Stay in your OWN lane.

Comment

in THAT extreme of a case, I'd end up pulling off to the nearest shoulder and letting someone ELSE take over...not good with X-Treme City Driving as a sport yet...

Comment

Working...
                              X