This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Turkey Debacle

or how Customers don't want to read a damn ad or a sign.

Well, seeing as I pulled a 5 hour shift on a register (of all places and I have posted about this over in Work chat) we've started our Thanksgiving ad on Wednesday.

We're running the frozen turkeys at 37 cents/lb - but the ad clearly states that the customer has to spend AT least $35.00 BEFORE the turkey is added on, and can only get one. This is spelled out in the ad (on front page, no less) and there are signs posted where the turkeys are in the market stating the conditions.

Are you with me? Good.

Want to know how many times I had to call Julio from the Market to come fetch frozen turkeys?

5 times.

I had 5 idiot customers who decided they didn't want to get their turkeys today b/c they didn't spend the requisite $35.00. And of course, they had to use their store card to be able to get the savings on top of the $35.00 min. purchase (also stated in the ad and on signs.)

Out of 5 people who did this, I heard 4 complain "I didn't see that in the ad." The other one was the old "I didn't see no signs" excuse.

If anyone should start seeing people being shot into space, it may be me the next time I have to send one of those cold, slippery, heavy ass turkeys back.

God I now remember why I hate being stuck on a damn register now. . . and it's only going to get worse before Thanksgiving.

Send wine. Lots of it.
    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

*sends a case by express post*

I despise Christmas - it's freakin' November! Why do you have to have the turkey now? Are you going to fatten it up?!
    God made me a cannibal to fix problems like you. - Angelspit, '100%'

I'm sorry, I'm not authorised to give a f**k.

Comment

Quoth Zombi View Post

I despise Christmas - it's freakin' November! Why do you have to have the turkey now? Are you going to fatten it up?!
      Because Thanksgiving in America is next Thursday and to most Americans, Thanksgiving without turkey is like a birthday without presents and cake.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Zombi View Post

Here in the US, most people have turkey for Thanksgiving and ham for Christmas.

Of course, there are some who will do a ham for Thanksgiving and turkey for Christmas. Or you'll have some people who will have both on their table.

It's a matter of personal preference, really.
        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

You know they say that the domestic turkey is so dumb that it can actually drown in a rain storm (they look up at what's tapping them on the head and drown). I'm thinking that some of these customers might be more closely evolved from those dim birds than monkeys.
          "smacked upside the head by the harsh of daylight" - Tori Amos "The Beauty of Speed"

a sucking chest wound is merely mother nature's way of telling you to slow down - Arm

Comment

Quoth The Gatekeeper View Post
            You know they say that the domestic turkey is so dumb that it can actually drown in a rain storm (they look up at what's tapping them on the head and drown). I'm thinking that some of these customers might be more closely evolved from those dim birds than monkeys.
            By Jove- I think you are on to something!

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
              Because Thanksgiving in America is next Thursday and to most Americans, Thanksgiving without turkey is like a birthday without presents and cake.
              hmm, well usually i dont eat turkey, i hardly like it anyway. but that might be explained that im not american, i was born in canada but live in south texas(yes i know what you going to ask, it wasnt my choice when we moved here, i was 7) and canada's thanksgiving was last month

Comment

huh; we're having lamb this year (if we can get a roast, that is...). i've noticed that people go nuts over any given 'holiday' item, waiting till the last minute, then having a major spazz attack on the day before:

'omg, onoez, i gotta have it, where is it...?' generally stressing out all the retail people within a mile radius of their spazz attack.

you need more than a case of wine; have a pallet...!
                look! it's ghengis khan!
                Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth The Gatekeeper View Post
                  This is why turkey brooders have red lights in them. The chicks are so stupid that if one gets injured enough that blood gets on its feathers, the others will peck it to death, thus getting blood on them, and the cycle goes on. The red light keeps them from being able to see any contrast on their white feathers.

I see that behavior in some craptacular customers too....

Comment

Quoth AFpheonix View Post
                    This is why turkey brooders have red lights in them. The chicks are so stupid that if one gets injured enough that blood gets on its feathers, the others will peck it to death, thus getting blood on them, and the cycle goes on. The red light keeps them from being able to see any contrast on their white feathers.

I see that behavior in some craptacular customers too....
                    I didn't know that about turkeys. Hell, I have learned something cool, today.

honestly, thank you very much
                    Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                    San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Quoth DGoddess View Post
                      We're running the frozen turkeys at 37 cents/lb - but the ad clearly states that the customer has to spend AT least $35.00 BEFORE the turkey is added on, and can only get one. This is spelled out in the ad (on front page, no less) and there are signs posted where the turkeys are in the market stating the conditions.
                      At my lovely place of employment, if you use your store card and get a total of at least $300 within certain dates, you qualify for a "free" or discounted turkey or ham. Fun for all, especially when a customers gets the wrong item and expects it to be the "free" one.

I hope the future MIL knows that the ham she wants for Christmas isn't the "free" one...it'll be discounted.
                      Unseen but seeing
                      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                      3rd shift needs love, too
                      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Turkeys are pissing me off! Just about every single order has one and they make my arms hurt! Mostly I am getting sick and tired of the following conversation....My thoughts are in italics...(really, they are only thoughts...)
                        SC: Do I need to put this turkey on the belt, its heavy.
                        Me: Excuse me? Its heavy? I've been lifting these things all damn day, you big baby!
                        Unfortunately ma'am, I know exactly what it is like to lift them, but I do need to scan it, and I havent quite mastered the art of levitation.

I can't wait to stab my fork into one and eat it! Take that you stupid turkey!
                        WELCOME

Be Nice or I'll Make the Sun Go Away.

Comment

My dad and I had goose a few years ago (Whole Foods had it, as usual we didn't start making any plans until my aunt and uncle arrived 2 days before, and we wanted something different). It wasn't bad; greasier than expected but interesting flavor.

Traditionally, my dad orders a "turducken" online Not this year though b/c the family clan in NJ has all the food planned already (they don't know what they're missing...).
                          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth DGoddess View Post
                            Send wine. Lots of it.
                            I can't send the actual wine, but I can send a suggestion for a good wine that is generally inexpensive: Marques de Caceres. It is a lovely Spanish red that my (half-Spanish) ex-fiancee turned me on to. Down here, where prices tend to be high, it is only about $11-12 a bottle, and better than many I have had that were more expensive. If you really want something great, and don't mind dropping a few more bucks, for $24 you can get the Marques de Caceres Gran Reserva. A truly spectacular wine.

Just a suggestion.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                            Still A Customer."

Comment

Another good wine is Marco Negri Moscato. Its white, sweet, fizzy, and great when its really cold. Er, the wine not the weather.

Comment

Working...
                              X