This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I left my job at the furniture store

I might as well post a copy of this since for the most part this is what's going to be going to the state labor offices to determine if I can get unemployment.

Over the years I've been on this site, I've chosen to not reveal the name of the company I had worked for because most of the problems I had with them were because of my district manager, and I never really had a problem with people higher up on the ladder. I worked for a company called [edited out to protect former co-worker's legal case-The Mods]. I strongly recommend nobody buy anything from them, or get hired by them, as it turns out there are people in the corporate ladder just as assholish as the boss I worked for.

If the mods feel I'm breaking any rules regarding naming my company, I won't be mentioning it in the thread again to make it easier to edit it out.

Cast of Characters - I'm changing their names.

Me
    Mark - my district manager
    Jim - his boss
    Veronica - My coworker who is a good friend despite the fact I bitched about her a few times on the site :P
    Stacy - the new girl that was hired

I was shuttled back and forth between my showroom and the downtown showroom several days a week as Mark had difficulty in hiring new associates for either location. Many times he instructed me to put the Now Hiring sign up when Jim would be visiting the store and to leave it down during other times.
    I was salaried at $300 per week working an average of 45-48 hours a week with a $100 managers stipend added on plus commission. Several times when our numbers were low, I would be threatened with losing my manager’s pay.
    The working environment showed signs of being hostile in February. Mark had basically dangled the threat of me losing my management pay for several months prior. On or around the first of the year, my management stipend was converted to a “weekly bonus” on my paycheck, and I was told the bonus was subject to my week to week performance.
    It was most affected by the showroom opening on time. Several times during that month, Veronica showed up late and my own pay was docked as a result of it. Mark's reasoning was that since I was the manager of the showroom that I was responsible for getting it opened on time – even on days I didn’t work at that location or had the day off completely. I protested the expectation that I would need to be at the store on my scheduled days off, especially when the round trip to and from work was in excess of 50 miles depending on traffic and frequent road closures, but Mark and Jim subsequently docked my pay several times due to policy transgressions on Veronica’s part during my scheduled days off.
    Veronica became pregnant in 2008 and was about to take time off work in February, and we were looking for a new associate to fill her place during the three months she had been promised for. Veronica’s last day of work before leave was early February and Mark had hired a new associate to work down at the downtown showroom, Stacy. Several instances happened the next month that made the work environment hostile towards me and convinced me that I was being actively forced out.
    The first incident started about 3 months prior. Every time Veronica showed up late to the store, be it for a doctors appointment or other appointment she had emailed about, Mark demanded I document that she was late, regardless of the reason. It became obvious that they were creating a paper trail when it came time to fire her or to bolden their position since they couldn't terminate her while pregnant as it would open them up to litigation. When I refused to do this, I was repremanded repeatedly by Mark. After I refused to participate in this, sensing what was coming, the environment started to turn hostile.
    The second incident came when Jim, Mark, and myself were at the downtown showroom during or near the last week of February. We were engaged in conversation, and I had mentioned I would have been glad to work some extra hours once Veronica came back off of leave to get some overtime. Jim stated in an offhanded comment “Yeah, well, don’t worry about that. She won’t be working for us anymore.” This was told to me in confidence at a managerial level and it set off some red flags that my district manager and his bosss had planned to fire her, but would not fire her beforehand for fear of legal reprisal.
    The third incident came later that month when Stacy came to work at my showroom, of which I was still officially the manager according to Mark. Stacy flat out refused to do any assignments or work which she was given by me unless they were specifically handed down by Mark. She told me she had been specifically instructed by Mark to not perform any tasks or activities which I assigned to her, even if they were part of the every day duties required of all our employees, specifically because I was the one that reminded her to do it.
    While I simply did these activities for her while I was my showroom, it became a serious problem when I was working at the downtown showroom. Mark would be unavailable for two or three days at a time, and Stacy refused to perform several daily activities, most noticeably taking the cash and checks we would collect to the bank. On more than one occasion, these actions and similar ones forced me to make a decision to choose between violating company policy or running the risk of losing my job. No matter what action I chose I ended up reprimanded, usually in the form of a reduction in my aforementioned “weekly bonus” or threats of my employment being terminated and written warnings. It became obvious that they were creating a paper trail with me the way I refused to do so with Veronica.
    The last incident happened in March of 2009. Via e-mail, I was officially demoted from manager and took a subsequent 25% cut in pay. This added to my emotional and physical distress which had been building for the last few months. Due to these health issues and the fact that my commute to and from work would be upwards of 100 miles a day if I had to run between the showrooms as I often did, I would not have been able to keep on working my job at the current level of pay.
    Due to the aforementioned incidents, I am fully convinced that Mark and Stacy were conspiring to undermine my position as manager. I am fully convinced that at the very least, Mark and Jim were conspiring to make my employment situation so unbearable that I would seek employment elsewhere, thereby avoiding any chance of reprisal by myself for unemployment compensation.
    While I am unsure of how this will affect my claim, there are two more instances which I wish to have on record. During the course of the few years I was at my location, I had developed a loyal repeat consumer base and had made several friends out of customers that would come to see me. I ran into two such individuals during the month of April and they were surprised to see me. They related to me that when they went into my old store, that Stacy helped them. When they asked Stacy about why I was no longer there, Stacy told them that she had been brought in to be trained as the new manager, that I had been fired, and that I had assaulted her, none of which is true. It was very upsetting to hear this from more than one source.
    The second incident involves the previous associate who went on leave, Veronica. She was told during the second week of May by Mark to get a doctor’s note clearing her to come back to work. When she was instructed to return to work May 15th, Mark informed her that she no longer had a job at the company. She is also seeking unemployment and is looking to bring litigation against the company through the California labor board, and I have spoken with her social worker assigned to her UI case.
    This second incident confirmed what I had been told back in February about Veronica not being allowed to come back to work, and the first incident confirmed my suspicions that Stacy, Mark, and Jim were conspiring together to make my job as unpleasant as possible and force me to quit as opposed to terminating my employment, similar to what they had told me in confidence they were going to do to Veronica.
    Due to the hostile work environment and the fact I was actively forced out, I believe I am entitled to unemployment compensation from my company under CA state law.

So that's the story. I never commented much on it here because I was so busy, but the social worker who took my case said I have a very good case for unemployment.
    Last edited by Dips; 08-15-2009, 12:47 PM.
    "Time shall help me face my painful memories with indifference, and with more of it, I won't feel the need to face them at all..."

I lived my whole life in CA until 7 years ago and I've seen this kind of crap. It's like there are just too many people in that state vying for too few jobs, and trying to edge each other out. Come here; there are a fifth the amount of people. There's no beach, though.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I think we could read between the lines for much of this Kus, but thanks for setting the record straight and giving us the inside dope.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
        There's no beach, though.
        Actually, there are beaches here. They're just full of dead alewives.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

People like these are fuckwads, and remind me how great my management at The Bar is.

I hope for you, Kus, that you get a job as cool as mine, preferably soon. And that Mark, Jim, and Stacy all get painful communicable diseases on body parts that no one wants painful communicable diseases.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
            And that Mark, Jim, and Stacy all get painful communicable diseases on body parts that no one wants painful communicable diseases.
            You know, I heard about this show dancer who got a flesh eating disease by nicking her leg while shaving with a rusty razor....

Kus, I hope your worker gets you every single penny that she's able. That sounds like the kind of job that would easily drive a person to drink.

Comment

Quoth Kusanagi View Post
              So that's the story. I never commented much on it here because I was so busy, but the social worker who took my case said I have a very good case for unemployment.
              Best of luck with your claim. The only downside I can see is that you quit instead of being fired. Never let them force you out, even if you have to throw it in their faces that you know what they are doing and won't give them the satisfaction. The only time I was in that position, it made my day to see the look on their faces when I said it.

Eric the Grey
              In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Damn, Kus. And after all the shit you've put up with over the years.

Circuit Shitty was like that. Everything would be going fine, then they'd start slowly making your life a living hell to force you out. It was a nightmarish situation, and I hate to see others suffer through it.

Best of luck to you with your unemployment case (you should definitely succeed). Go on with life, find a better, less stressful job. And know that karma's a bitch and these assholes will get theirs.

I remember the day my old store closed down. I had moved on to greener pastures, but took the time to pop in for a little slice of sweet vindication. Seeing that uber-bitch store manager trying to look composed (and failing) is a cherished memory. Now the whole crooked company has gone belly-up, and I danced on its grave.
                "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Eric the Grey View Post
                  The only downside I can see is that you quit instead of being fired. Never let them force you out...
                  I agree....unless, of course, you find a better job while they are trying to force you out.

I was miserable at the Landmark Luxury Hotel, and my boss Shit Weasel was making a hostile work environment for me, getting me in trouble for doing precisely what he said. (That story has been recounted in here already.) His superiors weren't much better, making it clear that they had no idea what they were doing or what a gem they had in the hotel they were running.

But while I plugged away being miserable and not letting them grind me down, I was out looking for a new job. And finally I found one, getting hired during the interview at The Bar. Probably one of the best professional moves I have ever made, going from one to the other. And revenge was even sweeter, because not only did I escape from the hotel, but I moved on to bigger and much better things.

So I agree....don't quit, let them fire you....unless, of course, you can improve your situation before it gets to that point!

Still A Customer."

Comment

Kus, you definitely have a strong case against them for hostile work environment, slander/libel/defamation as well as Veronica for wrongful termination. I hope Karma pays them a visit in the worst way.
                    I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                    Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                    Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Yeah, I had a job lined up when I left my company. Having worked in sales for 6 years, you're NEVER out of work for long (whether that work is quality or pays steadily is another matter entirely)

They didn't even want me to give 2 weeks notice. I went in and told them I had another job lined up that was closer to home and paid better and he said "Oh, ok. Don't even bother coming in the rest of the week."

Fortunately they took me next day at the temp job, but I do have a new job now selling video games at a kiosk by the beach. It helps that I know about them and I've been selling them left and right. It's minimum wage but we do have alot of old vintage pc games for under 10 bucks (Master of Orion 3, Prey, and Quake 4 for 5 bucks a piece brand new? SOLD)

It's still less than full time so I'll still get unemployment no matter what, if it's approved. Part of me wants to drop it and the other part of me wants to make my former company suffer legally since I can't seem to find the act of throwing a brick through the front window as satisfying long term, despite the fact that's exactly what a former coworker did.

The only retrobution I've been doing is giving people who put complaints online the direct number to the corporate office...
                      "Time shall help me face my painful memories with indifference, and with more of it, I won't feel the need to face them at all..."

Comment

Thanks for the detailed posts.

Comment

Kus, by all means file the appropriate complaints and paperwork and get the ball rolling against the assholes you used to work for.

But don't stress about it, don't get all up in knots about it....just do what you need to do, and let the people who take care of such things do their jobs and take care of it. You don't need to get all wigged out about what is or is not going to happen....you have enough stress and enough to deal with in your life, after all.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Anything new to report, Kus?

Comment

It's atrocious that anyone would treat an employee like that.
                              Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Working...
                              X