This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fired because of Facebook post

She didn't like the tip and wrote about it on FB. Then got fired. I agree she shouldn't have mentioned the name of the place but I don't think she should be fired for expressing her opinion online.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100517/...ebook_firing_1
    "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

I know I'm going to get flamed for this but here goes....

Even if she did not mention her place of work, she would still be fired as her job stated NOT to bash patrons on a social network site.

Sucks that they would even have the rule in the first place (chances are most patrons won't even know about her page) but rules are rules. Knowing how many people are fired for postings on Facebook, she should have known better.

Only reason I can think they have this rule is they want to avoid a defamation lawsuit if the patron does see the posting and gets offended enough to sue.

Comment

I won't flame you...the company had a policy and she broke it. If she had just not mentioned the restaurant's name she probably would have been fine.

Gotta love all the comments about free speech and constitutional rights. Sorry...private business protecting its good name...not a governmental suppression of free speech rights. No one is throwing her in jail. You are free to say whatever you want; the Constitution doesn't say there will be no consequences when you reflect badly on your employer.
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Should have used CS.com instead. That's why it's here.
        Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

There was another comment about the restaurant having "contracts with a kid" ... she's 22!
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth sld72382 View Post
            I know I'm going to get flamed for this but here goes....

Even if she did not mention her place of work, she would still be fired as her job stated NOT to bash patrons on a social network site.
            That is assuming the workplace could identify her as the person making the post, but her name and location might be enough to give her away.

Anonymity on social networking sites: Ur doing it wrong.

Quoth bhskittykatt
            Should have used CS.com instead. That's why it's here.
            And CS isn't a completely safe place either. I would be so fired if my employer saw the things I post here. That's why I hide the name of my workplace, its location and the names of people I post about. Fortunately it doesn't seem as though the company is actively spying on its employees' social networking communications, and none of my co-workers or managers know I post here.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
              And CS isn't a completely safe place either. I would be so fired if my employer saw the things I post here. That's why I hide the name of my workplace, its location and the names of people I post about. Fortunately it doesn't seem as though the company is actively spying on its employees' social networking communications, and none of my co-workers or managers know I post here.
              I agree. When I post stories, I change names, times, genders and am deliberately very vague about certain things to try and make it as "un-obvious" as possible what or who I am really talking about. It's just common sense IMO.
              "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

I agree she shouldn't have used the name of her employer; she should have come here!

A friend of mine's a professional photographer and recently did some artistic shots for a woman's modeling portfolio; she was going for a risque look, but nothing more than PG13. He posted them (watermarked) with her permission on his business website. Somehow her jealous stalker ex-boyfriend found them, said they were trashy, threatened my friend and the woman; saying that he was going to show them to her boss at work and make her lose her job. She's scared to death now. Sad sad sad.
                "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
                  I agree she shouldn't have used the name of her employer; she should have come here!
                  Amen to that! We must make her one of us...a fellow CSer! Sad that she got fired for that, but she DID violate company policy by mentioning their name in a bad light online.
                  I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                  Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                  Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

I agree she should've come here first, but would expect her to accept the consequences if she railed against customers and company and named them in her rants. Against policy or not, that's an obvious lack of common sense.
                    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                      This place is perfectly safe if you keep enough anonymity. I don't reveal anything other than the fact that I am a pharmacy technician somewhere in the United States. In my case keeping it vague enough that I can't be identified is especially important because I have to be absolutely sure never to violate a customer's privacy rights and always be certain that nobody could ever possibly identify anyone in any of my post.

Comment

Quoth RxBoy View Post
                        This place is perfectly safe if you keep enough anonymity. I don't reveal anything other than the fact that I am a pharmacy technician somewhere in the United States. In my case keeping it vague enough that I can't be identified is especially important because I have to be absolutely sure never to violate a customer's privacy rights and always be certain that nobody could ever possibly identify anyone in any of my post.
                        Same here. I'm a fellow tech and I hardly talk about where I work. I assume that the higher ups where I'm at are actively roaming the Internet, looking for ways to incriminate me in regards to the things I say here.
                        Osoroshii kangae nimo osoware masu...

Comment

Even though I often say how much I love my job at The Bar, you may have noticed I have NEVER named it. (No, Virginia, it's not actually called "The Bar.") Why? Because, unlike the waitress in question, I am not an idiot.

Look, there is no question that I say plenty on here that could potentially get me fired. If I worked for a bunch of idiots, and if I was ever stupid enough to name the establishment or the people I griped about. I don't, and while I don't strive for as much anonymity as some people here, I DO leave enough for me to feel a good amount of safety.

And I should point out that CS.com is much more anonymous than facebook or myspace or any other such site, where your name is usually right out there, oftentimes with your picture as well. And I don't know about other people, but I know that many of my coworkers and myself--and even management--are intertwined on one of those social networking sites. I promise you that even with the great people I work with, if I said something bad on there about them, the place, or some customers by name, I would damn well here about it. I rarely if ever gripe about work on there, unless it was something amazingly stupid....and those are usually the stories I'll call my manager over to tell them about at the time!

In short, the waitress in the story actually fired herself with her own stupidity and carelessness.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                          Still A Customer."

Comment

I found this site back in 2008 after having a very bad day at work. I needed to vent about what happened.

The client and the company I work for never told me how they want me to handle difficult customers. In fact the client told me that was the responsibility of the company I work for & that they have information on how to handle difficult customers. I asked my employer for this information, but I was told there was no information regarding handling difficult customers. My co-workers told me how they handle difficult customers. One specific co-worker who covered the 2nd shift when the company we worked for was trying to find someone to permanently work the 2nd shift asked me 1) how long have I been working at the client site (I started working there March 2006) & 2) if I have ever been trained by the client or the company we work for on how to handle difficult cusotmers. The answer was no. He then said "since you have been working here since 2006, I doubt it will ever happen. Our employer expects you to learn this on your own." This was back in 2007.

So I use this site as a learning tool & as a place to vent about what happened at work.

I do not want the client or my employer to find out I am a member, & so I do not give away any information about where I work at, who I work for, or the actual names of people involved.
                            Last edited by snugglegirl05; 05-23-2010, 04:23 PM.

Comment

For those exact reasons you won't find me naming the company i work for, and I have changed a few details wich would give it away.

I won't even confirm the name of the company by PM just in case, and I have been asked, I'm sure the person who asked was above board but I would rather know I haven't mentioned the company name anywhere.
                              Customer "why did you answer the phone if you can't help me?"

Comment

Working...
                              X