X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In What World Is Climbing The Shelves "Safe?"

Seriously.

So, I get word from a customer that there's a kid up on top of our shelves in aisle 3 or 4. And from the way he was talking, I knew he didn't mean just on the second shelf, about four-and-a-half feet off the ground, but up on top of our steel, about fifteen feet up. So I radio the managers and they get a ladder to get the kid back down.

Why did this 10~12 year old boy climb to the top of our steel shelving units? Well, he'd lost a shoe. And by "lost," I mean "taken off one of his shoes and thrown it on top of the shelf."

Yes, the boy had thrown his shoe up over the steel, clearly expecting it to fall down on the opposite side. And when this didn't happen, rather than do the smart thing-- like go admit to his parents (or the nearest store employee) that he'd been stupid and get help getting it back-- he'd decided to be stupid again and climb up to get it. He couldn't find it, and then he realized he didn't know how to get back down.

This is the kind of thing that deserves two things from Bill Engval. First is one of his father's "brain dusters." The second is...

Heeeeeeeere's your sign.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
    <MR SNIPPY WAS HERE>
    This is the kind of thing that deserves two things from Bill Engval. First is one of his father's "brain dusters." The second is...

Heeeeeeeere's your sign.

Yep that is definately a brain burp :-) Why is it the kids seem to be getting dumber? Oh yeah I remember, because their parents have spent years praising them for every little thing. "Your team lost? Here's a trophy" "You got an F on your paper, well clearly it's the teacher's fault" Sigh ............

Bill Engval, aside from being my cousin <grin> is the funniest comedian out there today! And yes, he's just as funny at home :-P
    Last edited by iradney; 05-29-2010, 09:22 PM. Reason: no need to quote the whole post, we've already read it

Comment

Now, in fairness, while I'm young enough that it's fair to say that kids are getting dumber, at least it's not much worse now than it was when I was a kid. I won't claim that that I can see his "logic", but I can so see myself at that age doing something that stupid.

Comment

When I was that age, I was in far more danger from the trees that I was climbing. I would have thought nothing about climbing up the shelves... if they were in my own home. By that age, I had already had it pounded into my head (or should I say my fanny) that it would be unacceptable behavior in a store.

Also, I believe that "entertaining myself by throwing my shoe around" was something I outgrew by the age of five as I knew that was unacceptable behavior in a store.

My questions is, where were the parents? Where is the part about them yelling and screaming at you for interfering with their dear little angel? Or were they yelling at your for failing to watch him and letting him climb the shelves?
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

When I was younger (this continues to this day) I entertain myself by reading a book.

Comment

Working...
          X