This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't try to joke with guest

This lady comes to the front desk and says her coffee maker keeps popping the circuit breaker in her room. I apologize and tell her I'll send maintenance to check it then I jokingly say "you must be making strong coffee". She gives me a sour face and says , "well we do like it strong, I put two filters of coffee in, but that should make the circuit pop."
    "Some times you just need to punch someone in the face"'Dalia Lama

Humorless people are the bane of my existence.
    "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

For what it's worth, Desk, I liked your joke.

Comment

I hate boring people. (The SC, not you. You made a witty joke!)
        Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Would be interesting to know whether she got back to her room and suddenly thought, "OMG, that person was JOKING" and promptly felt like an idiot. I've done that on occasion.

If not, she does need to lighten up a bit. It's just a coffee-maker!

Comment

Or maybe she doesn't know it's a joke till after she gets said coffee into her?

Comment

Sign them up.
              Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
              Save the Ales!
              Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Why so serious?
                To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Humourless people are the worst. The ironically I have a friend where neither of us gets when the other is joking, so we get angry and confused at each other. Our mutual friends find this beyond amusing.

Also regarding strong coffee my mother once said the following.

Quoth Hina's Mom
                  I hate strong coffee, it's too strong.
                  Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
                  Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                    Or maybe she doesn't know it's a joke till after she gets said coffee into her?
                    I was just thinking that; perhaps her sense of humour needs a caffeine boost.

I wonder if it IS possible to overload a coffeemaker by putting too much coffee in it?
                    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

heh. no. otherwise i'd have popped a lot more than i have.

i'm thinking she was running other stuff at the same time from that outlet, or on the same circuit at least. like a hairdryer or something like that.

either that or the stuff's just old and cranky

Comment

I have to confess to being this person on occasion. I get annoyed/frustrated because something is going wrong, go for assistance and am just flat and humorless and don't realize until later that the person was joking or teasing me. For what it's worth, I always feel like an ass afterwards when my mental equilibrium is restored.

Comment

I tend to have a dry yet geeky sense of humor, but I never, ever use it with a customer.

Reason being is that if I use it on the wrong person, and they don't understand it, they'll go and throw a fit and start writing letters to the CEO demanding everyone be fired.

At work I'm pure robot.

No humor, no emotion, and yes I will indeed repeat the same thing again and again 20 times, using the exact same phrasing and inflection each time.

Comment

Yeah, I've stopped making jokes with customers, too. Having a personality can be offensive. Too many times I've had to laugh awkwardly as things whistled over their head, or that their minor inconvenience is SO SERIOUS AND IS NOT A LAUGHING MATTER. The latter type really annoys me. Until we all become a brain surgeons or otherwise deal with life and death, there is NOTHING about our jobs worth taking so seriously. Imagine how much easier life would be if people would unclench and relax....

Then again, strong coffee might prevent that, such as in the OP's case. /espressoshot

Comment

Working...
                            X