This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb Ways To Die

This rather catchy music video seems to have been sponsored by an Australian railway company. It's certainly an interesting way of getting the message across.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJNR2EpS0jw

That is morbidly adorable
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

That is cute.
      I love how even the guy who eats superglue is still taking part even if he can't sing....
      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

That was funny . . .

Now if that actually stops one person from doing something stupid, it may be worth it.
        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

In case anyone is wondering (or cares), it's from Melbourne's railway service.

Comment

My gosh, I can relate to this. During morning transport for my job I've seen idiots stopped on the railroad tracks because they didn't wait for traffic ahead to clear. Also, just this past Thursday, I was waiting at a light rail station and some dumbass was dancing right on the edge of the platform. After he stopped dancing he was standing right on the edge with his back to the tracks and half of his shoes hanging over the ledge. Even if it wasn't right on a track he could've easily lost his balance and cracked his skull open. But he did not fall so he lived to be stupid another day . . . although that happened mid-morning and given what a moron he was (he was taken off the train by security for not having a ticket) maybe he didn't.

Comment

Thanks Chrom - shared. (Which I do once in a blue moon.)

Quickie question Ozzies and others; why the North America animals? I get that U.S. movies are pretty cross cultural (The Jason/Freddy character.) but Grizzlies, Moose, and Rattlesnakes? Think the production company has hopes of it going viral and aimed it at a bigger market?

Comment

Quoth Crescent Cat View Post
                My gosh, I can relate to this. During morning transport for my job I've seen idiots stopped on the railroad tracks because they didn't wait for traffic ahead to clear.
                I sometimes get stopped on tracks on my way home from work. There is a section that has the tracks in the middle with a street running down either side, and there are two points where you can cross from one street to the other. I go down the one street and cross over because the intersection I come through to get there is a pain in the ass and it's easier to just go straight and make a left further up than try to go left at the intersection. There's room for about two cars in the crossover and the traffic on the one side gets backed up from a light (which is kinda short, maybe 4-5 cars get through it, if everyone is paying attention). Most people are good about letting people in but some people, of course, are jerks and you get stuck, and then the person behind you gets stuck on the tracks, or stuck on the other street waiting to even turn into it. On the up side, the tracks are rarely used and when I have seen a train it's usually not more than 2 cars going maybe 20mph. If a car was in the crossover they could easily stop in time.

That used to be a major rail line between that town and the town I live in, but the train station in the town I live in (where I also grew up) has been a bus station for longer than I've been alive, and the train station in the town near work isn't there anymore.

On a side note, yesterday was my dad's birthday and we had dinner at my parents' house. While we were there I played this video for them. Then we did cake, during which my dad leaned over a liiiittle too close to the candles for my comfort (he was laughing at something). I told him, "Please don't set your hair on fire. That's a dumb way to die." My mom cracked up. (She may have had a little wine...)
                Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 11-18-2012, 02:46 PM.
                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

You're really supposed to stay off the crossing unless your exit is clear enough to drive completely into. This ensures that if the crossing closes, it is already clear. If you stall your engine, try using the starter motor (and first or reverse gear) to drive it just far enough to be clear - if that doesn't work, get out and push.

In Britain this also applies to "box junctions" which have yellow hatch markings on the road. Yes, a lot of people don't pay attention to that either. They are intended to prevent gridlock.

If the crossing *does* close while you can't get your car clear of the crossing - evacuate immediately because a train will arrive within a minute. The train will most likely survive hitting your car; the reverse is not true.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                    Thanks Chrom - shared. (Which I do once in a blue moon.)

Quickie question Ozzies and others; why the North America animals? I get that U.S. movies are pretty cross cultural (The Jason/Freddy character.) but Grizzlies, Moose, and Rattlesnakes? Think the production company has hopes of it going viral and aimed it at a bigger market?
                    I suspect that it might be the case. Also I think they wanted words that rhymed and Australia does not have bears.

(well unless you count the drop bears)

Comment

Most likely they raided the Darwin Awards archives for ideas.

Comment

My daughter is debating sending this to another teacher, who is anxiously waiting to see if they have botulism... after using pesto from a bottle that had been sitting in the cupboard for many days after opening.
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                          My daughter is debating sending this to another teacher, who is anxiously waiting to see if they have botulism... after using pesto from a bottle that had been sitting in the cupboard for many days after opening.
                          kick them while they're down eh?

Comment

I suspect that it might be the case. Also I think they wanted words that rhymed and Australia does not have bears.

(well unless you count the drop bears)

Also maybe because Australian deadly animals are not as cute and cuddly as, say, a grizzly?

Comment

Someone on another forum I'm on has as their avatar photo the character who sold both kidneys on the internet.

Comment

Working...
                              X