This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Social Groups

I noticed in my profile that there's a social group section. What I was wondering was, how is that section supposed to be used?
    My Fanfic Page
    My Fiction Page
    My Social Group
    My Pet Social Group
    My You Tube Channel

No idea.

I intend working my way through the new features as and when I get a chance. Sad to say, I have no clue what half of them are. I do worry that these could get cliquish, so I may eventually turn any that cause unrest off, but for now they seem harmless enough.

Rapscallion

Comment

Near as I can figure, the social groups are similar to Facebook groups, for those of you familiar. You can create new groups (set to public, invite-only, or moderated), join existing ones, post pics, leave messages, etc.

Its sort of nifty. I looked it over after I set up a group called "Test Group" (yes, I know "Test Group" sounds very exciting, but please do not trip over each other in your eagerness to join.)

The new features seem to be very Facebook-like to me. We can leave messages to each other on our user profile pages, for example.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Boo hoo! Nobody wants to add me to their friends list! I think I'll go leave bad messages on other people pages like an angst ridden 12 year old sneaking around MySpace.

You all know I'm kidding.

I've been checking out all the new features too. Perhaps I'll start a women who've proposed to Jester group.
        Because as we all know, on the Internet all men are men, all women are men and all children are FBI agents.

Comment

After learning I can make one, I made on myself. No members yet though .
          Military Spouse Support.
          http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
          Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Ummm...did you invite anyone to let them know you started a group?

People can't join if they don't know something exists.

Also, these new changes are just that...new...so people are taking a bit of time to get to know all the bells and whistles.
            Give it more than a day before breaking out the pouty smiley and assuming nobody wants to join your group.

If you go to "FAQ" and type in "Social Groups" this explains it:

What is a social group?

A social group is a group of people usually with a particular interest or something else in common. It provides a way of communicating between members as well as sharing photos or other images.

You can get to the list through 'Group Memberships' section on your public profile (?).

The Social Groups list page displays all groups that have been created. You can list the groups by the number of members, messages or pictures, the group name, when the group was created or by the date of the most recent message posted. You can use the controls provided to search for a group.

How do I join a group?

To join a group, click the group title then click 'Join Group'. When you have joined a group, its name will be shown in your public profile. You must be a logged-in, registered member to join groups.

Can I create my own social group?

As a registered member, you can create your own social group (providing the administrator allows this). Go to the groups page and click 'Create A New Group'. Complete the title and description for your group then select the type. There are three types of groups:

* Public - open to everyone. There is no restriction on who can join or who can post messages to it
            * Invite Only - require an invitation to be sent to join them. Invitations can only be sent by the group creator or forum moderators and administrators. Invitations are sent by clicking 'Pending & Invited Members' at the bottom of the page for that individual group
            * Moderated - open to everyone to join but messages need to be moderated before they will appear. They are moderated by the group creator and the site moderators and administrators
            Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post

Give it more than a day before breaking out the pouty smiley and assuming nobody wants to join your group.
              Heh. I made it like, five minutes before I posted it. I meant the sad face in more humorus then anything.
              Military Spouse Support.
              http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
              Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

I started a social group. The link is in my signature.
                My Fanfic Page
                My Fiction Page
                My Social Group
                My Pet Social Group
                My You Tube Channel

Comment

Working...
                X