This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unintentionally Hilarious and Disturbing Safety Manuals

BuzzFeed has pictures from two safety manuals. One is from sometime in the 1950s; the other is from 1969.

I found the picture with the train way too funny. Yes, I realize I'm a bad person.

This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

The pictures are not showing for me.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth catcul View Post
      I found the picture with the train way too funny. Yes, I realize I'm a bad person.
      If you are, so am I!
      "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

All the boys in the bike safety book die. All the girls just suffer injuries. Sexist much?

Also, love this video embedded in the comments for the bike safety manual.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
          All the boys in the bike safety book die. All the girls just suffer injuries. Sexist much?
          Girls never die. They are rebuilt into they combine like Voltron into their adult form.

As a gay man, it is entirely possible that I know jack shit about how women work

Also, I love how the Buzzfeed tagline for the train pic is "*jesus*"

I ed
          "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
          "What IS fun to fight through?"
          "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

Thank goodness I wasn't eating or drinking anything when I saw that picture ...

As for that other series, good gravy, it's a wonder anybody who read it ever went outside again! DEATH LURKS EVERYWHERE!

Comment

At some point though, safety manuals and other materials have stopped mentioning, let alone showing, that you could get KILLED through carelessness. They de-emphasized that part, maybe because it was in bad taste to draw it up as we see, maybe because it was thought "too much" for young impressionable minds, but now, they only say you might get "hurt" if you screw around. And "hurt" means you might need a band-aid.

There's something to be said for telling people that running in front of a train doesn't "hurt" you, it "KILLS" you. To be honest, I don't think any kid really pays attention to safety until they grievously injure themselves for the first time.

Showed it to some friends, they instantly came up with this

http://photo.ricecop.com/pics/smugtrain.jpg
              - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                At some point though, safety manuals and other materials have stopped mentioning, let alone showing, that you could get KILLED through carelessness. They de-emphasized that part, maybe because it was in bad taste to draw it up as we see, maybe because it was thought "too much" for young impressionable minds, but now, they only say you might get "hurt" if you screw around. And "hurt" means you might need a band-aid.
                I would say just the opposite. More chicken little effect.

You look at it and you see dead, dead, dead, dead, etc. When even then there was good odds of survival in those situations. After a while you stop believing it.
                I AM the evil bastard!
                A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth catcul View Post
                  Yes, I realize I'm a bad person.
                  Ditto that.

Not a safety manual per se, but these are attached to EVERY SINGLE UTILITY POLE in my area. Which, really, begs the question. How long does your area need to have E-LEK-TRCTY before you can stop warning people about how dangerous it is?
                  Last edited by sms001; 08-17-2013, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                    Showed it to some friends, they instantly came up with this

http://photo.ricecop.com/pics/smugtrain.jpg
                    Linky no worky
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Any time I think "instruction manual", this thing pops into my head: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oB6DN5dYWo

It is legendary, one of the best examples of a company having fun with safety instruction out there. I wish half the instructional material I'd been given at companies was anywhere near that amusing...
                      "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
                      "What IS fun to fight through?"
                      "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

Working...
                      X