X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A big Minecraft Mappy Shiny

<-- Me

So, I've been less than a month at a new job, having added yet another nuked bridge to a post and now a temp agency...

And already things are looking up. Way, way up!

You may have seen that a particular British mapping agency have made something very fun using Minecraft. Now have a close look at the second picture in the article...

See a name you recognise?

When I started work here, in Cartography (Best. Job. EVER.), I got to look at a newsletter that was going around about stuff other departments were doing, and I learnt of this Minecraft map that someone had created. Excitable as always, I emailed them and asked if I could have the world file, assuming it was just a random something that had already gone out.

Nope! "Hi we're very happy you're interested!! Could you help us test the download? "

Sure!

Soooooo I became the playtester, pretty much. I didn't think it would get on the BBC though. They do love their Minecraft for some reason.

And what about my shite little Stonehenge eh? XD 40-odd blocks and about as many seconds to place...on that triangle of roads where it is on Salisbury Plain...yuuuup. I was asked whether I'd built anything, and I thought around for something to build as the scale is really off and for some reason I've not seen mobs spawn yet (or the land get dark at night! ) I couldn't fit in Winchester Cathedral, and things built on Ben Nevis (aside from a sign) or King Arthur's Seat would have looked weird. I did make it rain and took a picture of myself standing next to a Nether Portal in Cardiff Bay though (Cheddar Penny for the reference! :P)

Here's the download and instructions for any Minecrafters who want a play

[/pimp]
    "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"
Working...
X