Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking as a die-hard fan of this musical, this is a stupid and terrible idea

A film adaptation of CATS might happen..

How I feel about this: No. Nope. Nuh-uh. Nein. Non. Niet. Iie. Ni. This is a horrible and shitty idea. It’s likely going to be filled with big-names who can either not sing, not dance, or all of the above.
    "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

....interesting.

I agree. While i would LOVE To see a newer film version of CATS (even a new stage recording would be good), I feel like the project will get a ton of Big Names who can't sing or dance. Which in a show that is all about singing and dancing is silly.

BESIDES, Why go for big names? Under all the fur and makeup who can really tell.

Now, if they do it RIGHT. This going be amazing, but I don't feel they will.
    Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
    Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

What I would love to see, personally, is an uncut re-release of the filmed version that already exists. The cast from that one is still my favorite of any I've seen/heard.

And, yet, I predict that what will happen will be a lotta miscasting, autotune, and things that will otherwise ruin the thing.
      "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

I would like to see an animated adaptation. Preferably by Dreamworks or Pixar. Maybe Pixar; after all, it was them who made Toy Story 3 (which won an Oscar for Best Animated Film and was nominated for one for Best Movie).
        cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Quoth cindybubbles View Post
          I would like to see an animated adaptation. Preferably by Dreamworks or Pixar. Maybe Pixar; after all, it was them who made Toy Story 3 (which won an Oscar for Best Animated Film and was nominated for one for Best Movie).
          Funnily enough, apparently there was an animated version that was planned several years ago by Amblimation (the people who made the first Balto movie and Fievel Goes West): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0173714/...read/193371828

The design in these pictures intrigues the hell outta me, but I dunno how it would work. It depends on how well the dancing (because, c'mon, the show is 80% dancing and it would not be the same show without it) translates into animated form, I guess.

Comment

Quoth firecat88 View Post
            ...depends on how well the dancing (because, c'mon, the show is 80% dancing and it would not be the same show without it)...
            Dancing cats? I *heard* that cellophane tape on all four paws is sufficient.
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
              Dancing cats? I *heard* that cellophane tape on all four paws is sufficient.
              And I've heard that minions who annoy their overlords in that manner can expect prized possessions to be used as scratching posts and litter boxes, whichever seems more appropriate.
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                ... prized possessions to be used ... litter boxes...
                Wait'll he puts on his stereo headphones!
                [/FF's Cat]
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth firecat88 View Post
                  It’s likely going to be filled with big-names who can either not sing, not dance, or all of the above.
                  Paging Russell Crowe...
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                    Paging Russell Crowe...

Oh jeez. That's the last thing this world needs. (I actually find him to be not that bad of a singer, but his voice is all wrong for musicals. Also, I kinda hate him as an actor)
                    Last edited by firecat88; 12-04-2013, 03:49 AM.

Comment

Hmm. Scary. I've seen Cats 4 or 5 times. I agree that it would be best to find no-names who can really sing, as well as act, I'd really hate to see them ruin this by giving the best roles to someone whose main claim to fame is they're photogenic.
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                        I agree that it would be best to find no-names who can really sing, as well as act, I'd really hate to see them ruin this by giving the best roles to someone whose main claim to fame is they're photogenic.
                        That's the problem with Hollywood; it's all about looks. They don't care if an actor fits the role, they cast the big names with the pretty faces. Even if the character is supposed to be homely, they'll cast a pretty face (and usually "make her ugly" by putting glasses on her or dressing her in unflattering clothes. )

I'd like to see performers from Broadway or the West End in the roles. Veterans or newbies, just get people who can actually sing, dance and act the parts. They're wearing neck-to-toe unitards, wigs and heavy makeup, who's going to recognize faces anyway?!
                        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                        My LiveJournal
                        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

http://www.underthegunreview.net/201...is-on-the-way/

Ugh...so apparently it has moved from the 'talking about it' stage and really *is* going to happen.

The other day, though, I saw/reblogged a post on Tumblr that pretty well sums up why this is a bad idea, and does it much more eloquently than I ever could: http://firecat88.tumblr.com/post/688...w-lloyd-webber

Comment

firecat - I like how that blogger put it. It makes me think of the way things often seem to work once you get high enough in most any large company for the Dilbert Principle to be in effect as far as the eye can see: "If it ain't broke, fix it anyway!"

I do not see any way this can end well if it even comes into within striking distance of Hollywood >_<
                            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I'm more optimistic for the film version. I didn't think the film version of "Chicago" would work but I actually liked the movie MORE than the stage version.
                              "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Working...
                              X