X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Visits Australia

32 Things Every American Thinks When Visiting Australia The First Time

I'll keep these in mind if/when I ever go to Australia.

To be fair, in North Carolina, USA, ...

Lowe's Hardware Store

Lowes Foods Grocery Store
    This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Aussie here

And of that list:

2. Yes, it does get HOT. It's not uncommon for some parts to be around 40C+ in summer.
    3. That's an ibis/heron. I see plenty of them in the creek across the street from my house
    4. Because they only come out at night
    5. There have been very few deaths due to a spider bite in the last 30-odd years or so.
    8. While bogans and rednecks do have a lot in common, bogans generally don't give two shits about someone's sexuality or similar unless there's alcohol involved.
    9. They also sell for like $1 in summer.
    10. A lot of the bar/hotels WERE actually hotels in a past life and some still are today.
    12. We do have a Kmart and a Target, neither of which have links to their American counterparts
    15. LIES!!! ALL LIES!!!! (Vegemite is yummy!) 17 is sort of delicious, but not nearly as great. Especially on hot days.
    18 and 19 are OMG HELL FREAKING YES THEY ARE YUMMY. Especially the Double Coat Tim Tams....*Drools*
    20. Has absolutely no link to baseball. The only thing they have in common with each other is a bat, a bowler and a catcher. That's about it.
    21. There are gridiron clubs in Aussieland. Rugby is much more dirtier and played with less padding.
    22. is Thunderdome?
    28. That is Karl Stefanovic and the Today show is one of those "early morning" TV shows designed to appeal to the unemployed, stay-at-home/work-at-home parents and teenagers home from school on a sick day
    31. Adelaide is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH easier to navigate. All hail Colonel Light and his idea of a planned city .
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
      Aussie here

22. is Thunderdome?
      That comes from the movie Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome, a movie that stars Mel Gibson and Tina Turner. It's an Australian film that has the tag line, "Two men enter; one man leaves."

Comment

I laugh with 21. Rugby like American football? Not even close. American Football players would get killed in a Rugby match.

And I still can't for the life of me understand why Australia is so proud of Vegemite.
        I AM the evil bastard!
        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Love #31, though!
          cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Quoth catcul View Post
            That comes from the movie Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome, a movie that stars Mel Gibson and Tina Turner. It's an Australian film that has the tag line, "Two men enter; one man leaves."
            Ah. And no I have not seen that film (I know of its origins).

AFL could best be described as "clean" rugby-in a way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_rules_football

There's 18 teams in the league across the country. Generally you say that you "barrack" for a certain team, since "root" has its own connotations. I used to follow the Adelaide Crows when I was a kid, but stopped following it after a while.

There's a pre-season match (called the NAB cup) and then the actual season runs from March-September. During that time, footy tipping is common and popular in a number of places including offices, betting agencies and even schools!
            Each week 9 games are played and you pick the winners for those games. The highest score for that week wins a prize (or the money) and the winner at the end of the season wins a bigger prize (or the money if they decide not to go with a week-by-week scheme).

*if classes are doing it, money is typically not involved. Instead students win a prize that week. I somehow came first for 3 straight weeks in a row based purely on luck

Comment

Hey, we could use the middle picture on #27 here!!

Also, there might be a lot of old men in speedos down there, but holy hell some of the football players... What do you feed those boys??
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Ha, the toilet door in 27 is at my local. That sign is now proudly displayed behind the bar.

Comment

Quoth catcul View Post
                  ...It's an Australian film that has the tag line, "Two men enter; one man leaves."
                  I use that same tag line. ;-)
                  "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

This list makes me want to visit Australia even more! I love a country with a good sense of humor about themselves.

The map of Sydney is not unlike the map of my town. We think the city planners were on an acid trip when they laid out the streets.

Tim-Tams look absolutely delicious. I'm sure the lemonade is also.

#5 is scary (though the caption is hilarious). But I like bats and weird birds.
                    Last edited by XCashier; 12-12-2013, 05:41 PM.
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                      holy hell some of the football players... What do you feed those boys??
                      Vegemite, of course!

Comment

Quoth LesserSouthernFroglet View Post
                        Vegemite, of course!
                        AKA Beer Soup Residue.
                        [/TP - XXXX The Last (In)Continent]
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                          This list makes me want to visit Australia even more! I love a country with a good sense of humor about themselves.

The map of Sydney is not unlike the map of my town. We think the city planners were on an acid trip when they laid out the streets.
                          Adelaide was actually designed as a "planned city" so the streets are laid out in a particular way. It hasn't stopped the planners from making it almost impossible to navigate said planned city easily (due partially to the tramline running dead centre)

Tim-Tams look absolutely delicious. I'm sure the lemonade is also.
                          If you've ever heard of the term "pub squash", then you've tried Aussie lemonade . Solo is DELICIOUS though...

Comment

34 Reasons Australia Is The Most Beautiful Place On Earth

Those photographs are amazing, even the lake that looks like Pepto Bismol.

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                              Adelaide was actually designed as a "planned city" so the streets are laid out in a particular way. It hasn't stopped the planners from making it almost impossible to navigate said planned city easily (due partially to the tramline running dead centre)
                              One of the worst cities (albeit a very small one) with a street grid I've driven in is Calumet, MI. It looks like this. You may have to zoom out a level or two to see it. Basically there were 4 separate mining towns that grew together in an amorphous blob. One of the city planners followed the angle of the peninsula this city is located on. One of them went counter to the angle of it. The planner for Calumet proper actually went with a street grid following the cardinal directions. The resultant map has been compared to a butterfly smashed on a windshield.

The best (?) part is that Calumet, Laurium, and the other two sections (if memory serves they're called Red Jacket and Blue Jacket) each have their own versions of the same numbered street names. So it's not enough to specify 3rd Street, Calumet, since Calumet is understood in local vocabulary to refer to BOTH Calumet and Laurium.

My hometown (well, not really, but I was born and went to college there) of Grand Rapids had a similar scuffle between street designers, but luckily, only a very small portion of downtown is at a 45-degree angle to everything else.
                              "Only in our dreams are we free. The rest of the time we need wages." - Terry Pratchett
                              Emissary of Minong - my blog and its Facebook page

Comment

Working...
                              X