This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BYOD? Be sure to CYA

Do you work at a place that has a BYOD policy for smartphones (company provides apps, and uses functionality of, employee-owned device)? Be sure to keep your personal data backed up to another device (such as a home computer). It turns out that a number of companies have been protecting their data stored on employee smartphones by wiping out EVERYTHING on the device when the employee leaves.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

I implemented a BYOD policy for my company. The key is to communicate it well so that everyone knows what will happen.

I had to wipe an employee's lost phone today. I felt a little bad about whatever pictures were on it, but if it's lost and she never backed it up, she would have never seen the pics again anyway.

Comment

You want me to do work on my phone? You can f*^%ing pay for it. Until my monthly cell bill and phone cost are paid by the company, forget it.

My company doesn't even have my cell # and they're no going to get it either.
      "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

I have to agree with Crossbow. Any company I work for that wants me to use work related apps on a phone or other mobile device will bloody well provide said device, or pay my monthly phone bill on top of any wages I earn. Otherwise, no dice!
        You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

My brother-in-law's workplace makes him use is own personal laptop to do coding. I don't think they can ask him to wipe the hard drive when he leaves. For some reason, they make him use his laptop, but they make his co-workers use the company owned laptop. I don't know why, either.
          This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

A few years ago at another job, in another life -- before I knew better -- My boss had me purchase a laptop on eBay with company money, to be used for work purposes, in part so that he could send me to a training/conference thing which required me to have a laptop. I found out after I got back that I would be repaying the company for it...He began taking $200 out of each of my paychecks until it was paid off; he didn't warn me that he was going to be doing this, he just did it.

...Which, as I later learned, is totally illegal in the state where I was living at the time. You can't even take ANY deduction from an employee's paycheck there without a discussion and written agreement, unless it's required by the courts/government. When I confronted him about this, and some other such deductions later on, the response was always the same: "I don't want to be bothered with this. I will deduct what I want to deduct". In other words, "Shut up and go away." He implied that he could "find" other deductions to take out if I didn't comply.

If only I knew then what I know now...
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
            X