This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Angels Crash

In Beaufort, South Carolina, one of the US Navy's precision flying team crashed during the final moments of their airshow. http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/21/blu...ash/index.html

For me it's hard, because I was looking forward to attending their next show.
    Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

What upsets me here is that why was this performance taking place where a crash might end up in someone's neighborhood, which is what happened here? Thank God no one else was killed, although the account I read said the crash nearly took out some plumber pulling out of a driveway in his truck.

That's not cool.

Comment

The way I feel about is that it seems like a waste of resources to have planes being used in death defying stunts. Sooner or later (such as in this instance) you'll have an accident.
      I understand that they want to show what those planes are capable of but when you start treating a plane like a toy then you're asking for trouble.

Comment

The Blue Angels are a recruiting tool. They were established by Adm. Nimitz to increase the profile of naval aviation.

Unfortunately, accidents do happen and also, unfortunately, what you find at a lot of airports and air stations like this one are houses butted up against them. It's not as if the military had knowingly put the lives of the people in that neighborhood at risk. (Please don't turn this into a debate about other things going on now. I have very strong opinions about that and am not trying to turn this into a debate about it.) These pilots are experienced, well trained and most are combat experienced these days, as well.

I feel very badly for the pilot and his family. He wanted to serve his country and this was one way that he could do that. He had already been to war and come home, he was living a dream by flying with the Blue Angels. I'm sure he will be missed.

Comment

He was basically from my backyard so the local news stations all did pieces on him. They also showed stock footage of when one of the reporters flew with him when they were at an airshow.

Comment

Working...
          X