Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wal-Mart worker fired for MySpace Joke.

http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/...230.xml&coll=5

This could probably go under Morons in Management as well.

I guess it's a warning to be careful about wishing things would happen to your stupid customers where other people can read it.

This is why I do not tell where I work here. I never know if somebody knows my real identity and is looking to score some points with management and thrown me under the bus.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Honestly . . . there's GOT to be a line between work and personal life. This is insane.

As a teacher, I have to be careful where I go out around here. If a parent sees me drinking, he/she could tell my coordinator that they don't appreciate it and I could possibly be terminated (especially since I work in a church!). I'm too afraid to even have a margarita at a Mexican restaurant.
      ~*~"If your gift is that of serving others, serve them well. If you are a teacher, do a good job of teaching." -Romans 12:7~*~

Comment

Hmm, maybe I should think twice the next time I come into work wearing my Purple Pussy "Dear God, make everyone die. Amen" shirt?

...nah.
        "IT stands away, interrupting himself from the incessant hammering of the kittens…"

Comment

Geez, talk about "Saint Peter, don't you call me cuz I can't go. I owe my soul to the company store."

Comment

I don't suppose there's any way the guy can sue for wrongful termination over this? Because it is complete bullshit. I know people who keep their myspace profile private for exactly this reason.
            Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

We actively encourage people to mask any identifying details about themselves for just this reason.

Rapscallion

Comment

A buddy on mine that owns a DJ'ing service sided with the business on this one. He had an interesting view on it....

"If I am paying someone a wage to perform services for me and represent me to the public, then that person goes and tells everyone that my business needs to be blown up, which is what he did, then why should I be paying him to damage my buisness?"

Comment

I don't think you mess w/ anyone saying anything about a bomb anymore.... Would it have been funny if the killer in the VT shootings had posted that somewhere? That the intelligence level might go up at the college if someone took out the stupid people?? (NO, I don't think any of the people that were victims of that horrible incident were stupid, I'm just trying to make a comparison - maybe it's a bad one) I mean that's probably a far cry from what this guy was saying.... but I just don't think you joke anymore about killing people, bombs, guns, etc. You never can really tell who is joking and who is serious - sometimes even if you know the person really well.....

If he had made some other joke about Wal-mart - like talked about Jib-Jab's "Big Box Mart" video..... that would be different. But the World Wide Web is WORLD WIDE and available to just about everyone - I don't think you should post a lot of stuff that could haunt you later... it's in writing..... basically... it can be printed out. So watch what you write/type......

Comment

Quoth ditchdj View Post
                    A buddy on mine that owns a DJ'ing service sided with the business on this one. He had an interesting view on it....

"If I am paying someone a wage to perform services for me and represent me to the public, then that person goes and tells everyone that my business needs to be blown up, which is what he did, then why should I be paying him to damage my buisness?"
                    I disagree with your friend's semantics. Did the guy say that his store needed to be blown up? No, he said IF all the Walmarts were blown up, then IQ would increase. That is a statement, but not a statement of intent by any means.

Comment

reminds me of that Delta flight attendant, fired for blogging.

http://news.com.com/I+was+fired+for+...3-5490836.html

and the UK bookseller fired http://news.com.com/U.K.+bookseller+...ag=st.bp.story

I make sure my Myspace and Facebook is set to private.
                      No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

This is why when my ex roomate was job hunting last spring (before we lived together) he put his myspace as private. He had nothing incriminating on it, but he heard about employers checking up on their employees and employers looking for potenital employees to see what their profiles look like.

I hear they check facebook as well. The NBC nightly news had a story on it last fall/winter.

I'm thinking I better head over to my facebook and erase the part about my job where it says "putting up with drama". I might get fired if one of the middle aged cows reads it.
                        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

This is why I won't give out the name of where I work. And actually, two of the companies I have worked for had specific instructions that we were not allowed to discuss our jobs on the internet. I think it's stupid, but I can also see from the companies view-point. They don't want their customers feeling intimidated-like someone at the store is going to write a story about them later.

I have also heard that employers have started doing google searches of their employees names. For this reason, I will not start a blog or keep a facebook or myspace page. I don't need to be judged on my personal life. It's personal for a reason. I behave very differently at work than I would at home.

I think there needs to be some sort of rights for workers, though. It's not really fair to be judged based on something you stated outside of work.
                          I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

Working...
                          X