X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McDonalds refuses to serve woman without hands

http://cbs2chicago.com/watercooler/w...184031037.html

Hope no one put this up already. I didn't see it. As for the story, I guess I can understand how this can make someone uncomfortable but it was totally unacceptable how they reacted. If you don't think you can serve a person without hands, quietly excuse yourself and find someone else to serve her. There's no need to be rude. The problem is yours, not hers.
    It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
    -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

I remember in grade school, amongst the educational films we saw were two about people without arms (one twentysomething woman and one twelve-year-old boy -- I think they'd been Thalidomide babies) and how they lived their lives. I admit, I was shocked at first, but as the film went on, I became impressed at how well they lived perfectly normal lives: driving, washing dishes, grocery shopping, etc., all by the use of their feet.

These McDonalds employees do indeed need some sensitivity training. This is the twenty-first century, not the Middle Ages; handicapped people deserve the same courtesy and consideration as the non-handicapped.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

One of my dad's students was born without any legs and only one arm. She did not let anything stop her. She drove a truck, got married had kids and is living her life out like nothing was wrong. She says the only time she notices that she is different is when someone else makes a commit to her. I think McDonald's needs to have their employees be more sensitive. That is so wrong what she had to go through. The fact it happened once was bad but to go through that humiliation again is ridiculous.

Comment

Playing devil's advocate here, I can understand the reaction of the people in the drive-thru. If someone had come through my window when I worked at Mc'D's and stuck their feet into the window, my first reaction would not have been 'This person obviously has no functioning arms and is making due with their feet.', it would have been 'Great, some sucktard is being a jackass.' It's pretty easy to hide your arms, and the last place you expect to see someone without arms is driving a car.

Still doesn't excuse their reaction if the lady explained her situation, though.
        Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me!

I like big bots and I cannot lie.

Comment

I once saw a show with a mother who had no arms. She was holding her baby and changing diapers with her feet. I was amazed at how well she could do that. And some people thought she was unfit to be a mother! hell, I've seen perfectly "normal" parents handle their kids less carefully!

I also know a man with no hands (failed suicide when he was young, he thought slitting his wrists was too easy to save him from, so he cut off his hands in some heavy machinery at work... yeah...) :shock:
          He's got some devices instead, and he can grip stuff by moving his elbow and make the devices open and close though.

Comment

I saw a story about a woman who lost her arms in a childhood accident. I was amazed at how she did EVERYTHING with her feet. She cooked, cleaned, took care of her baby...you name it.

Anyone like that deserves a lot of respect in my book...

I can understand the employee being a little put off by feet coming at her at first, but to be an asshole is inexcusable...especially once the situation is explained. Just serve the woman her food!
            I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

I'd want to hear the full story, ie what the employees have to say, before I make a judgement.

As in the case of the woman who claimed to have been booted from a plane for breastfeeding, when in fact it was cuz she was being abusive, this woman could have been supremely entitled and expected the employees to get on their knees and lick the dirt from her feet... and gotten pissy cuz this didn't happen. Disabled people can also be entitled and arsy, you know; it's not just exclusive to the able bodied.
              People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
              My DeviantArt.

Comment

Working...
              X