Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Store axes workers for watching funeral procession.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Store axes workers for watching funeral procession.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070710/D8Q9E1100.html

JACKSON, Mich. (AP) - Two grocery store employees have been fired after they didn't punch out while viewing a 300-vehicle procession funeral procession for a soldier who was killed in Iraq.
    <Mr SNIPPY WAS HERE>
    Last edited by Rapscallion; 07-11-2007, 07:33 AM.

Well...if everybody else could punch out, why couldn't they? Stealing time is stealing time, no matter what the reason.

That said, I would not have fired them. I probably would've just told them to punch out next time. The rule is there for a good reason but to me the punishment seems like using a bazooka to kill a fly.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I would've just docked them the time. Is it that har....

Oh yeah, right. "Common Sense" rule...

Comment

To be fired for something like this after 31 or 7 years working there makes me think they were just looking for a reason to fire these guys, and leapt at the chance.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
          Well...if everybody else could punch out, why couldn't they? Stealing time is stealing time, no matter what the reason.
          Maybe they were stealing time or they might've just forgotten. Firing is still not an appropriate response. Dock the hours and tell them not to do it again.
          How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Quoth Soulstealer View Post
            Maybe they were stealing time or they might've just forgotten. Firing is still not an appropriate response. Dock the hours and tell them not to do it again.
            And if the management did not mention that it was possible to clock out to watch or that you were expected to clock out if you were going to watch (rather than doing busywork while the store was empty), I really think it was harsh and overreacting.

I wonder how long a time period this was and if the store requires employees to clock out for smoke breaks or the like. I hope these employees win.

Comment

Yeah I don't think they should have been fired, there might have been a misunderstanding or they might have just forgot.
              No one's perfect, I forgot to clock out one day last week and nothing was said.
              If for any reason you're not satisfied with our service, I hate you.

Comment

Had to trim the original post, folks. Copyright laws allow for fair use only - quoting entire posts is not on.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Arucard View Post

<Mr SNIPPY WAS HERE>
                  Does Mr. Snippy do Brisses?
                  How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Quoth Soulstealer View Post
                    Does Mr. Snippy do Brisses?
                    And he gets to keep the tip!

(cookies to anyone who gets the reference)
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

weird al - pretty fly for a rabbi

that does stink for the workers, hope it all gets resolved the best way possible at this point

Comment

Working...
                      X