This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bus riders terrified!

As you might have guessed and/or read from my posts today, Nan Desu Kan was this weekend, and in browsing the NDK forums, I found this gem from the Denver Post.
    http://www.denverpost.com/ci_6894318?source=email
    Pretend there's something here that sounds insightful, but is really just some pseudo-intellectual bull.

As funny as that is, it's just common sense that you don't take your weapon props into the world of the "normals". Especially on a bus. Sheesh.

Reminds me of last AWA (Anime Weekend Atlanta). The dealers room was right near some sort of ballet recital. As I passed through a crowd of fancy dressed people, in my renaissance garb with an obviously-fake sword, the adults clung to their children and pulled away from me like zebras from a lion.

Ah! Realized I've got another good story. My first cosplay was Squall from FFVIII, and as some might know, he's got a big scar on his forehead. I did mine in lip pencil, and it seems I did it too well. Anytime I ran into "normals", they were recounting their own scar stories or asking if I was okay.

And then it turned 2 am after raving. High on soda and pocky, deliriously tired, I stumbled about looking for the exit. I got lost and ended up in a closed indoor mall, where a security guard took one look at me and hauled me to the medical station. The night nurse swabbed my forehead, inspected the makeup smear, and grumbled "She's one of those costume people."

The guard was good enough to give me directions to my hotel.

Comment

Quoth Skandranon View Post
      As funny as that is, it's just common sense that you don't take your weapon props into the world of the "normals". Especially on a bus. Sheesh.
      It is common sense, however it's also hilarious. But I'm guessing that that was his only mode of transportation to the hotel.
      Pretend there's something here that sounds insightful, but is really just some pseudo-intellectual bull.

Comment

Ha. As a regular LRPer I am now very used to the looks I get as we cart our weapons up to the venue wearing chainmail.

The police around there are apparently so used to us, that if they get reports of 'people massacring each other with swords' they just ring up the security for the university (we do it at uni campus as it's run by a university society) and ask if the nutters are out again.

ALthough the way police cars slow down as they pass us on our way up is always fun.
        Deepak Chopra says, "Fear deprives people of choice. Fear shrinks the world into isolated, defensive enclaves. Fear spirals out of control. Fear makes everyday life seem clouded over with danger.

Comment

I used to live in the country, right on a state highway. About five miles down the road was the headquarters of the fourth-largest trucking company in the U.S.

We had SCA fighter practice in the front yard a couple of times. Ladies in long dresses. People in armor, whacking each other. On the edge of a major road. A major road carrying lots of semi trucks.

I discovered it's bad for my blood pressure to see a semi swerving toward the front of my house because the driver is startled.

We started having practice in the back forty, instead.

Comment

he he

that reminds me of something I saw on my LOTR extra stuff DVD's. Viggo Mortenson had spent all night filming scenes from the Battle of Helms Deep. He was still pumped up when he left and walked down the street that morning , still half dressed up as Aragorn, swinging his sword and practicing moves as he walked down the street to his hotel. Somebody called the cops on him and he was cornered by two cop cars who wanted to speak to him. He said he must have looked like 'some desperate Rasputin character.'
            Because as we all know, on the Internet all men are men, all women are men and all children are FBI agents.

Comment

Back when the Ghostbusters LARP group I was involved in was still together, there was a large wooded area in Lexington we would use when the school whose property it was let us or was out of session.

Much fun to be had during the drive from Boston/Cambridge. We learned quickly that someone sitting in the back of the pickup in full gear (or even the proton packs alone in the racks as it looked ominous) did wonders to discourage tailgaters/red-light honkers (our packs didn't have the light/sound kits in as they didn't exist at that time. If they had, I wonder what would have happened)
              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

YAY! Other LARPers! Skandranon, Swordsman422, me, and several friends are planning a Final Fantasy(meaning the FF world, not so much the already made characters themselves) LARP this spring.
                Check out my cosplay social group!
                http://customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=18

Comment

All I can say is thank God it wasn't the SCA.

This time.

Comment

Working...
                  X