This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Mind Control Customer Service Reps

Here is an interesting article on the Consumerist that, once you get past the inital reaction, is a fascinating look at people's views on customer service reps. The actual post is somewhat informative if a bit heavy handed, but depending on who you're calling it could prove to be useful.

What is intriguing to me is how half the commentators are all "YEAH F THOSE PHONE MONKEYS" and the other half are all "yeah, but CSRs are people too so maybe treating them like shit might not be the best path to getting your way" and the first group responding with "OMG LOOK AT ALL THE SECRET CSR SHILLS REVEALING THEMSELVES", cause you know only another CSR would consider a phone rep to be a human being deserving of civil treatment.

One positive thing to take from it is that it seems the "treat CSRs like people" seem to be pretty much owning the debate while the other side comes off like gorillas flinging their poo whenever they are confronted with different points of view.
    "You know, there are times when it's a source of personal pride not to be human." - Hobbes

Agreed. If the CSR is an ass or can't solve the issue, then talk to a sup. But at least give them a chance to help you, that is why they have them. And treating them like another human wouldn't hurt either. I like the part where they suggest the you have the necessary info in font of you and not yell and scream.

Comment

I read through most of the article and comments, and I have to agree that the advice of asking immediately for a supervisor is pretty dumb. Why do they think CSR's are there in the first place, to be operators?

I also disagree with the advice and overwhelming agreement in comments on the subject of "You will do this for me". How would these people enjoy having a sales person smile after ringing them up and say, "You will pay me $XX.XX"? Even if it isn't said in a snotty tone, it still is a rude, demanding thing to say.
      Last edited by Snowbird; 01-09-2008, 02:24 PM. Reason: spelling
      "You are the dumbest smart person I have ever met in my life!" Will Smith, 'I, Robot'.

"You LOSE! Good day, sir!" Gene Wilder, 'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory'.

Comment

Quoth Snowbird View Post
        How would these people enjoy having a sales person smile after ringing them up and say, "You will pay me $XX.XX"?

I'm going to BEG my manager for permission to do that.

Seriously though, the kind of behaviour this article proposes is incredibly obnoxious. I'm surprised the author says that she gets her way by doing this. If I were a CSR or Supervisor dealing with her, I'd find any excuse to deny her.

If they have been giving her what she wants this whole time, its because she's dealing with corporate policies that mandate pleasing the customer no matter what. In which case, she can stop congratulating herself for being such a raging bitch. Being nice would have gotten her just as far, if not further.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Absolutely. I felt badly all day yesterday because I was just a tiny bit sucky on the phone with a CSR while dealing with a really shitty policy that ended up requiring me to pay THREE shipping charges because I ordered an item that I specifically asked if it runs true to size and was told yes (which is in INCHES not that hard) and turns out to run small, so I need a size two inches larger for my horse, which means I payed a non-refundable shipping charge for the too-small item, pay a shipping charge to return it, and pay another non-refundable shipping charge to get the correct item. I mentioned that the company offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee, and that I was not satisfied that the item was not true to size as represented and that I would have to spend an extra $25 in shipping to get the correct size- and then I felt like a rude person all day because of it.

However, though the CSR offered no solution when I was snappy, when I asked if I could use a discount code that was supposedly for my NEXT order on the return order of the correct size item and apologized for snapping at her, she offered to make an exception and let me use the discount code. So that wipes out one shipping charge, effectively.

Nobody knows how to bend the rules better than CSRs. You don't get them bent by being rude.
          My basic dog food advice - send a pm if you need more.

Saydrah's leaving the nest advice + packing list live here.

Comment

What are you guys all complaining about? Them asking for a supervisor means one less person for the CSR to deal with. Not too bad in my opinion. Plus, you also have to remember, managers are normally spineless. Why would they want to deal with a CSR who doesn't take crap over a manager who will bend over backwards?
            "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

If everyone gets a supervisor, I guess they wouldn't need the frontline staff...

Rapscallion

Comment

This is basically a road map on how to be obnoxious. I can understand how people can be upset but to initiate all contact with the aim of being rude and obstructive, is just plain wrong.
                A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

HAHAHA. I've had people try to tell me, "You WILL do X for me."

Guess what answer they got?
                  I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

Here at the Evil Cable Monolith, they're actually trying to break people of the "I need a sup for the tiniest question just to make sure I get my way" mindset. I pretty much only escalate a call if its something I truly don't have the means to fix directly or if it's a particularly obnoxious assweasel that demands a sup from the start and goes postal if you dare to ask any details. If you ask for a sup to attempt to overrule me after I've told you the facts as they stand, you're just going to be told that a sup won't tell you anything different.
                    "You know, there are times when it's a source of personal pride not to be human." - Hobbes

Comment

I'm curious, have supervisor's ever been known to tell one of these "I must speak only with a supervisor!!" people after the fact that next time, they really should talk to a CSR instead?
                      "You are the dumbest smart person I have ever met in my life!" Will Smith, 'I, Robot'.

"You LOSE! Good day, sir!" Gene Wilder, 'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory'.

Comment

Quoth Snowbird View Post
                        I'm curious, have supervisor's ever been known to tell one of these "I must speak only with a supervisor!!" people after the fact that next time, they really should talk to a CSR instead?
                        Even if they do, would the SC listen?
                        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                        My LiveJournal
                        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Always get the name of the person who answered the phone, even if you speak to them for only a moment
                          Heh, that person will be ticked if he / she ever needs to call my place of business while I am on the switchboard. I am not required to give my name when I answer the phone. If someone asks me, I just say 'this is the operator, how may I direct your call?'
                          "500 bucks, that's almost a million!"
                          ~Curly from the 3 Stooges

Comment

I can't count the number of times people have tried this with me and end up losing 9 times out of 10 because they are in the wrong and trying to bully their way through to get what they want.

Example: This is one I get at least once a month: I am upset with your company. Insert reason phone broke 9 times out of 10 the fault is of the customer IE water damage or physical damage. You will give me a refund for my phone and my airtime.

Response: Practically canned at this point: If you wish you can ship the phone in and we will examine it to determine whether a warranty is deserved. The product itself is not refundable, nor is the airtime, both points which are clearly printed not only on the box/airtime cards, but are also listed on our website and in the brochures that accompany said product. If you missed reading this policy this is not our fault.

Its sad how many people will not simply ship the phone in for warranty. Those that cooperate generally will happily find themselves the owner of a new phone unless water damage was the cause or the phone has been clearly abused/broken to the point that the damage would never have made it past QC.

Comment

Working...
                            X