Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hospital purges all drug company gifts.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080119/...o5jms1hiSs0NUE

This made my day for two reasons: 1) hospitals are finally starting to take the issue of relationships between doctors and drug companies---and the seeds of distrust it has sewn among the American people---seriously, and 2) the hospital is sending all the stuff they round up to hospitals in third world countries, who don't have access to these drugs and could benefit from a free supply of things like pens, paper pads, alarm clocks, and stuffed animals with drug logos on them.
    Because as we all know, on the Internet all men are men, all women are men and all children are FBI agents.

It always baffles me that drug companies in the US advertise even to the patients - in no way would that happen over here. Doctors and nurses get freebies, but the way the US works in this regard is astounding.

Must admit, my mother came away from one drug freebie grab rather laden with goodies.

http://www.panexa.com for a really amusing parody of the way drug companies sell to patients.

Rapscallion

Comment

The hold Big Pharma has over the medical profession in this country is terrifying, appalling, and disgraceful. I dont' believe you can easily get honest, useful medical care over here...it's all about how your case can be exploited for more $$$ for the drug companies.

Comment

I remember this from when I worked in a physician's office. I still have some of it and it was almost 9 years ago! I don't understand why they give that stuff away so much. I can see why they give free samples to Dr.'s to give to patients without insurance, for example (that's what the Dr. I worked for did with them). But giving all the free stuff to the staff? As if it's going to make us buy medications we don't even need? As if it's going to make us say to patients, "You've GOT to try [this drug], I have this awesome ALARM CLOCK with [that drug's name] written on it!"
        I was not hired to respond to those voices.

Comment

According to the article, research has shown that even small gifts like pens and paper pads can and do influence doctors' decisions to prescribe certain medications.
          Because as we all know, on the Internet all men are men, all women are men and all children are FBI agents.

Comment

My dad's an anaesthetist, and as a result, drug reps do try and give him gifts to get him to use their stuff. However, he will never accept a gift that's bigger than a pen. They've tried offering him timeshare, a full on tent, all sorts of gizmos, but if it's not a pen, then he won't accept it. And then he'll still carry on using the drugs he thinks works best anyway One advantage of that was I always had at least a handful of pens during highschool
            The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Working...
            X