Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check out what just flew over my house.

Apparently he does this daily, but I've never seen him. He flies over and lands at the executive airport near where I live. I should go there to catch the landing someday.

Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

SWEEEET! Is that the Aluminum Overcast? I know there cant be that many B-17Gs running around.

If it is I saw them when they came to Cincy a few years back. I didnt get to take the ride as I didnt have the fold available but got to do the walk aroud as they ahd it on the grou display.

Comment

I don't know. I'm going to try to be out around the same time the next few days to catch more pictures of it. I saw it coming and it took me a second or two to realize what it was. Luckily I had my digital camera with me.
      Last edited by draggar; 01-22-2008, 12:34 AM.
      Quote Dalesys:

Comment

It looks like they can't raise the landing gear anymore. I wonder if they still have the machine guns? Probably mock-ups, though.
        Testing
        "I saw a flock of moosen! There were many of 'em. Many much moosen. Out in the woods- in the woodes- in the woodsen. The meese want the food. The food is to eatenesen."

Comment

Looking at your picture again it looks like the one you took is Olive Drab and has an A on the tail fin. This rule sout the Aluminium Overcast tas she is still in her natural metal color and flies the W on her fin.

You're in FLorida right? That means its The Collings Foundation's B-17G named Nine O Nine which is now taking tours in your area.http://http://www.collingsfoundation...gh-b-17p38.jpg

She's got a majorly interesting history.http://http://www.collingsfoundation...b-17g_hist.htm

Sweet you get to see her. Those old birds where poetry in motion and the sound of those 4 wrights firing is a symphony of harmonious power.....
          Last edited by Rahmota; 01-22-2008, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Wow freak me the hell out, I figured this would be a UFO thread.

*sigh of relief*
            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Oh, nice looking aircraft!

B1 Bombers are flying into Davis-Monthan AFB here soon.

Every other year, there is an airshow on base. Of course when the show goes on I had to work . I live within a mile from the air base. The week before the show, the Navy Blue Angels were practicing and I got to watch while sitting right here in my chair on the computer. It was awesome!

Comment

I had the privilege of working behind the scenes at RAF Fairford for RIAT for three years running, some incredibly beautiful aircraft both classic and modern, about seven years ago I was allowed to get 'up close and personal' to the only flying Lancaster in the UK whilst she ran her engines up to full, nothing sounds better than those old prop aircraft running.
                A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Thanx for the info, Rahmota. I was reading about the B-17s today and found the story of the Nine O Nine (140 missions with no aborts or loss of crew).
                  Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Quoth PorkChop View Post
                    Every other year, there is an airshow on base. Of course when the show goes on I had to work . I live within a mile from the air base. The week before the show, the Navy Blue Angels were practicing and I got to watch while sitting right here in my chair on the computer. It was awesome!
                    I remember when I lived up at NAS Memphis (now NSA Midsouth), the Blue Angels had a big airshow up there and they would practice above the play ground of my school. It was awesome...now I get to see the Blue Angels and loads of other planes more often since I live near NAS Pensacola.

Draggar, those were some cool pics. I hope you get more. I was proud of myself when I identified the plane off the bat. My dad looked at the picture for a second and said, "B-17G." He is a retired ATC but I'm still surprised at how easily he knows his planes.

Comment

Ellsworth AFB is the home of the B1B...when they aren't flying over the Middle East that is .
                      Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Draggar: you are very welcome. yeah an amazing history of the 909. But then again most of those bombers had amazing stories of one sort or another.

Rine: Lucky bugger....

One of the joys of living under the Brushy Creek Air training Corridor is that I get to occasionally watch the ohio ANG do practice manouvers/dog fights. Rather cool to watch them at night when they pop flares and drop into burner in their F-16s.

Comment

Working...
                        X