This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We're all criminals!

...or we would be, if this Kentucky lawmaker had his way.

From the "Surely Nobody's That Stupid" department:

Clicky Clicky

The spit-take line: online bullying has "especially been a problem in his district".
    Lack of freedom can be measured directly by lack of stupid. --Penn Jillette

OK, stupid solution to a real problem. How about just requiring boards, ISPs, etc. to maintain proper logs so that bullies can be tracked if required?

Oops, that'd be too easy.
    "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

IF I wanted my real name to be shown online, I would have that as my username. I do agree with them. Online bullying is a problem, but to do this. Someone could just put down a fake name.
      Under The Moon Paranormal Research
      San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

I'm not sure how it ended, but some years ago there was a proposal to ban South Australians from accessing "adult content" online. The definition of adult content was basically "anything not for children". If the laws were passed, I could be violating them right now just by saying I like beer.

Comment

Anonymity online exists for some good reasons. For example, I'm still fairly active on Usenet and have a couple "throwaway" accounts for use in helping to track down trolls/spammers/HipClone-of-the-month; I always, always use a pseudonym on all groups I frequent. The random nut population doesn't need to know my real name and location.

I also don't really trust that info to remain uncompromised if collected by websites.
          Last edited by Dreamstalker; 03-12-2008, 01:52 PM.
          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I'd like to see them enforce this, or even try. are they going to check every forum on the interweb? what about users from other countries? or maybe it would only apply to boards being viewed in that state

Seriously, it scares me seeing some of the litigation proposed and passed by people who obviously don't have a clue how the interweb works
            "Ride the spiral to the end, it may just go where no one's been. Spiral out, keep going..." -Lateralus

Comment

It would depend on where the server was located. This one's in the UK, so we'd be safe from that, though we are subject to more stringent hate crime laws (no culture of first amendment).

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth marasbaras View Post
                OK, stupid solution to a real problem. How about just requiring boards, ISPs, etc. to maintain proper logs so that bullies can be tracked if required?

Oops, that'd be too easy.
                That's better than being required to put your entire name out there. I feel that they don't need to know who or where I am just because I want to post something on a forum. That sort of law is a little Orwellian if you ask me.
                Last edited by tropicsgoddess; 03-12-2008, 01:17 AM.
                I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Represntative Couch says enforcing this bill if it became law would be a challenge.
                  Talk about having a firm grasp on the obvious. How does he know there isn't really somebody out there named Irving Patrick Freleigh? Huh? Huh? Anybody? Anybody? Bueller?
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth dispatch View Post
                    Seriously, it scares me seeing some of the litigation proposed and passed by people who obviously don't have a clue how the interweb works
                    It reveals a mindset that I think is all too common among legislators: if you don't understand it, control it, or trust it, then the only thing to do is regulate it.
                    Lack of freedom can be measured directly by lack of stupid. --Penn Jillette

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                      Talk about having a firm grasp on the obvious. How does he know there isn't really somebody out there named Irving Patrick Freleigh? Huh? Huh? Anybody? Anybody? Bueller?
                      He once wrote a letter to my local paper protesting the closure of a well known public toilet block.

(what was more interesting was that the letter by I.P. Daley on the same topic was actually genuine)

Comment

Well that will be wonderful for online stalkers...that's going to do more harm then good.

Not that it will go through most likely but still...
                        "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Comment

Quoth KaeZoo View Post
                          It reveals a mindset that I think is all too common among legislators: if you don't understand it, control it, or trust it, then the only thing to do is regulate it.
                          Either that, or tax the hell out of it

I'm not too worried about what goes on in Kentucky. Hell, some of those folks are lucky to have electricity and running water But seriously, they're going to have a serious problem trying to go through with this. There's no way anyone can keep track of every message board on the planet. Are they really going to check each and every name to see if it's legit or not?
                          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                            True. You get that registered everywhere you can right now. Then the race will be on for "Hugh Jass".

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

I'm not too worried about what goes on in Kentucky. Hell, some of those folks are lucky to have electricity and running water
                              Not to mention that there is a definate sense of the people doign what they dang well please laws be danged.

Also i was lookign into buying property and moving to kentucky. Did you know that on surveyor's property platts saying that the property runs from the pin in the middle of the road 500 yards to the big maple on the ridge is an actual legal measurement of the property? As well as the phrase more or less being on the actual deed where it says how much land there is like in the property is 20 acres more or less. So whiel the Kentucky government may be getting as uptight as everyone elses in many ways there is still a major laid back attitude in a lot of others.

Comment

Working...
                              X