X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill to Ban Aluminum Baseball Bats...

...strikes out.

http://www.sj-r.com/News/stories/26899.asp

What the hell? Isn't it a *GOOD* thing that kids are playing sports outdoors?

Personally I like the jab that the Rep. from Morris got in at the end of the article.
    Answers are easy...it is asking the right questions which is hard.

Personally, I prefer wooden bats. I want to hear the crack of the bat, not the ding. Can you picture major league baseball playing with aluminum bats? Didn't think so.
    Last edited by Misty; 03-14-2008, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Man, obviously these parents have never seen what kids like I was can do with a wood bat. I had to duct tape mine back together after one particular incident.
      "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

Quoth Misty View Post
        Personally, I prefer wooden bats. I want to hear the crack of the bat, not the ding. Can you picture major league baseball playing with aluminum bats? Didn't think so.
        Actually I can. It involves lots of pitchers and fielders dying or being severely hurt from being hit by batted balls.

The thing with aluminum bats is that they're lighter and less dense than wooden ones, so they can be swung faster, and the ball comes off them faster.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
          The thing with aluminum bats is that they're lighter and less dense than wooden ones, so they can be swung faster, and the ball comes off them faster.
          Which is why they're so popular for kiddy leagues. I don't think kids would have much fun swinging a wooden bat and hitting the ball 50 ft. until they hit 12 or 14 and get their growth spurt.
          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

"All bats were wooden 30 years ago?"

What planet is he from? I'm 39 now, and I'm pretty sure I remember seeing aluminum bats before I was 9 years old.

The only thing that might have been made of wood back then was this moron's head.
            Sometimes life is altered.
            Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
            Uneasy with confrontation.
            Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
              They can be swung faster, but that's just because they are lighter--it doesn't mean that the ball will go further or faster. The balls speed and distance have more to do with the transfer of energy from the bat. Think back to your physics class:

E=energy
              m=mass
              v=velocity

Since energy is a product of mass and velocity:

E=mv

So, an aluminum bat would have a greater velocity, but less mass. Wooden bats would have more mass, but be swing at a lower velocity. All things concidered, the ball would move about the same, and the bill is a really stupid one.
              Last edited by Spiffy McMoron; 03-17-2008, 05:10 AM.
              I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Working...
              X