This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creators of Potential Doomsday Device Sued

So it seems like somebody has made a device that could DEST0Y TEH WORLDZ OMG.

Actually, it seems like a perfect sci-fi movie scenario. Guys create giant machine to explore the secrets of the universe, a few scientists outside the "scientific mainstream" raise "unfounded" arguments that there's a slim chance it could destroy all creation, and everyone scoffs at the idea. Then they start the machine......
    "You are loved" - Plaidman.

I rather suspect that people create devices that "could" destroy the world all the time. It's just this particular one is very large, and very obvious.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Surely they can only win the lawsuit if the device does actually destroy the world... and then how are they going to collect?

Comment

It's official, this is stupid.

I AM the evil bastard!
        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I'm actually a little bit scared by this thing.
          "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

Physics geeks have been looking forward to the Large Hadron Collider experiments for years. I'm psyched that they have this thing almost finished.

If something "goes wrong", the most likely victim will be the LHC itself. There isn't any real danger to the world.

Scientists' biggest fear is that the LHC experiments won't reveal anything. But if it does, it could literally unlock the secrets of the universe. Very exciting.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

The Wright in me says that this case would be an awesome one to take on for a lawyer.

That aside, what about all those nukes that are being kept 'just in case'?

Comment

I think the critics have watched *way* too many sci-fi films, and are relying too much on what-iffing to make their case.

It's not like the apparatus was built by a bunch of amateurs who got the directions online, and the scientists working on it are bumbling idiots who dropped out of highschool. The guys doing these experiments know very much what they're doing, and they aren't going let something like this happen.

Comment

Working...
                X