X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Web design SC

http://www.clientcopia.com/quotes.php?id=4357

Some people really just don't get the concept of the internet and software rights....at all.
    "Ride the spiral to the end, it may just go where no one's been. Spiral out, keep going..." -Lateralus

He probably thought he didn't have to pay the hosting service, either, which is why it's now gone off the internet. Idiot.

I just dodged a similar bullet myself. Guy wanted a site done....then lo and behold, come to find out he owes a friend of mine 2000 bucks. For over a year.

Yeah, I ain't doing that job.

I guess he thinks the graphic artists and web designers don't talk to each other. Bad news for him: This town ain't that big.

Comment

wow, amazing
      "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

I hate when SC's think that anytime you do computer related work for them (tech support, web and/or graphic design) they think it's free. It's a business, not a charity!!!
        I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
        Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
        Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
          He probably thought he didn't have to pay the hosting service, either, which is why it's now gone off the internet. Idiot.

I just dodged a similar bullet myself. Guy wanted a site done....then lo and behold, come to find out he owes a friend of mine 2000 bucks. For over a year.

Yeah, I ain't doing that job.

I guess he thinks the graphic artists and web designers don't talk to each other. Bad news for him: This town ain't that big.
          I have a similar problem with one of my clients. I do more "uh, yeah, this guy posted I don't pay my bills... uh... could you remove that from my website?" I've spent more time taking off "bad" posts than programming. Not literally, but sure seems that way at times.

[his payment record with me is about as infrequent]

Comment

I hope when you are removing the bad posts, he doesn't at the time owe YOU any money!

Comment

I hope when you are removing the bad posts, he doesn't at the time owe YOU any money!
              He both does and doesn't owe me money when he does that.

It's a messed up thing.... he's yet to approve or give me all the info for his website that he paid to have developed (I was cheap at the time, only $250). Other things that he's asked for since then (beyond the original website quote) cost since it was approved and is considered maintenance. Removing the posts is a "costing" thing that isn't paid for -- I sometimes find I work slower when not paid.

Comment

IMHO you should charge twice that at the very least. It will weed out people who aren't serious. Get half up front, so that then they are invested in the project. That way you have some funds under you belt so you don't get completely stiffed if the deal goes bad. And that way they are less likely to drag you around, because they've already spent money on it.

Someone who can't afford 500 bucks on a website is not serious about their website. And that's low end, you could probably get away with charging even more if the job warrented it.

Comment

IMHO you should charge twice that at the very least. It will weed out people who aren't serious. Get half up front, so that then they are invested in the project. That way you have some funds under you belt so you don't get completely stiffed if the deal goes bad. And that way they are less likely to drag you around, because they've already spent money on it.

Someone who can't afford 500 bucks on a website is not serious about their website. And that's low end, you could probably get away with charging even more if the job warrented it.
                  Actually I like having him around so I can make policies to never have another one When he first came to me I had never done a website for anyone else before, and people in town thought $100 was too much (you know, it's digital, so it should be free!). But if anyone came to me now, a personal under 5 page thing would be like that. Business (simple) would be around 500. A standard website would be about $1200-2500.

Of course I tell people, I do the programming based ones, not graphical ones. I do the DB based, "forum from scratch" types of things, not your run of the mill ones. One of my relatives (doing the same thing! Just he does the graphics more so than not) has paid me more for a simple 2 week project than the client's paid from the start.

He was the "lucky" few that got in cheap.

Comment

Good. Those are what you should be charging.

A lot of times, if I have a pain in the neck client or I just dont' want to do the job, I grossly overcharge, hoping to scare them off. If it doesn't scare them off, well... I can't turn down the money at that point.

Comment

Quoth JLRodgers View Post
                      Actually I like having him around so I can make policies to never have another one When he first came to me I had never done a website for anyone else before, and people in town thought $100 was too much (you know, it's digital, so it should be free!). But if anyone came to me now, a personal under 5 page thing would be like that. Business (simple) would be around 500. A standard website would be about $1200-2500.
                      Damn, I'm charging too little.
                      Quote Dalesys:
                      ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
                        Damn, I'm charging too little.
                        Well it all depends on what it is too If someone wants a website that's basically a blog or something -- so that I basically just create a database, unzip a blog software package, and follow a few prompts (with nothing else), they'd just get charged my actual hours spent (rounded up) @ $25/hr.

Comment

Good. Those are what you should be charging.

A lot of times, if I have a pain in the neck client or I just dont' want to do the job, I grossly overcharge, hoping to scare them off. If it doesn't scare them off, well... I can't turn down the money at that point.
                          Just yer standard PITA (or equivalent) tax. Something that should be applied more often.
                          ludo ergo sum

Comment

Quoth rvdammit View Post
                            Just yer standard PITA (or equivalent) tax. Something that should be applied more often.
                            You just gave me a good idea to relay to my comp god fiancé....
                            I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                            Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                            Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Working...
                            X