This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you know much about history?

Americans love history, when it's in the movie theater...

There was an article in last weekend's USA Weekend magazine (written by Kenneth C. Davis, author of Don't Know Much About History and other books) about our abysmal performance when it comes to knowledge of our nation's history. 14,000 freshman and seniors at 50 American colleges took were tested, and scored an average of 52%. The best scores came from Harvard seniors, with an average of 69.6%. A high D. So I guess I should be proud..?.. that I scored a 75.

So take the quiz and tell us how you did!

http://www.americancivicliteracy.org...rces/quiz.aspx

The quiz is 60 questions, multiple choice. It took me about 15-20 minutes.
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

I did very badly on this quiz but I think I only did this badly for a couple reasons; The quiz isn't so much history based but Politics based... and I suck at politics.

But anyhoo, I scored a mere 16 outta 60. 26.67% correct.

Yeah, I'm kinda dumb.
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

70%.

And the sad thing, if you look at the stats, is that I'm not American.

Just a book/history/political/phone/general geek.

B
      "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
      I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Yeah, the economics questions got me...
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

60% and it varied around the board, did well on the economics questions though, considering I took Money and Banking last semester.

Comment

70%. Not bad for a Canuck!
            I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

81% Although a lot of them weren't history questions and a few had phrasing that confused me.
              How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

66.67%

Actually, though, when I was a senior, I probably knew more. I mean, it's not necessarily information one uses repeatedly.
                My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Comment

War history questions were easy as hell. Economics did me in though. 37/60 61.67% So/so on the actual politics part of it.

Looking in on the questions I got wrong, Question 24 is BS. Federalism is run by a national government. DUAL-federalism is run by the national and state governments.
                  "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

50% here. That wasn't history; that was poli-sci. I hated poli-sci when I was in school.

Most of the history and definitions stuff I got right, although some of my dates were off by one increment. A lot of "this publication was about what" and "this person had which viewpoint" questions I got wrong.

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

40 of 60, not good.

Comment

I agree with Andara, that wasn't history. Those questions encompass a whole range of subjects, including history, poli sci, economics, and philosophy. Not everyone has had rigorous schooling in all those subjects. I really hate when the media does something like this and then claims that we're all a bunch of lackwits because we're not all super educated.
                        Because as we all know, on the Internet all men are men, all women are men and all children are FBI agents.

Comment

I gave up on the test, there was very little actual history in there in the parts I saw.

(a non Plussed Brit)
                          A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

71%, and I'm with everyone else; that was not a genuine history test there. Though I doubt I'd have done any better on pure history
                            Your true character is who you are when no one is looking.
                            --Unknown

Comment

"You answered 53 out of 60 correctly — 88.33 %"

<quickly ducks and runs out of the class as he appears to have skewed the curve>
                              Testing
                              "I saw a flock of moosen! There were many of 'em. Many much moosen. Out in the woods- in the woodes- in the woodsen. The meese want the food. The food is to eatenesen."

Comment

Working...
                              X