Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

73.33% for me. The economic stuff really threw me. Still, it was nice to do better than the average Harvard senior. Especially since I only have a few random years of Community College as my highest level of education.

Comment

I got 50% exactly... with a little help from my friends.

But - since I'm in Aus, I think that's sort of fair given the nature of the questions... (and yes - that 50% does include the actual US history questions - not just the economics, general politics and philosophy, which I've got some knowledge of anyway).

what worries me is that the 'official 15,000' is from University students. Problem is - I reckon the same would be said of any university students these days

Slyt
      When I said "From my research", what I actually meant to say was "Made shit up" - from a thottbot thread

Comment

70% here. How sad is it that the Canadians on this board are doing better then your average Ivy League American?
        Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me!

I like big bots and I cannot lie.

Comment

73%

I hate political science...it's not a subject heavily taught in school and you know, I'll probably have bricks thrown at me...it's not too important for the average Joe. I know the basics of how my country runs, I know the political minds that founded it, and small details like that. I know the history behind it all (all the history questions I got right.) But I don't need to know the nitty gritty philosophy details behind it all.

At least that's what I think. So if that makes me ignorant, then so be it.

edit: Also...this site is like for civics in college and whatnot. I thought the point of going to university/college was to further study in the desired field of your choice? I had one college American History class and I took that when I was in high school. I think the civics education should begin in middle school and high school--maybe even elementary school. We had one economics class and one government class in high school and that was only for seniors.
          Last edited by Rine; 04-19-2008, 06:26 PM.

Comment

I agree about people in the U.S. not knowing their history. Last year about a month after Memorial Day, I had a run to a suburb of Atlanta GA, and they still had (on the side of the road) crosses with names (presumably of locals who had died in wars) and the war on them, but some of the flags were missing from the crosses. Since both of the Civil War crosses were among those with missing flags, I asked somebody what flag would have been on those crosses, and was told "The U.S. flag, of course".

For anybody who doesn't understand why I'm bringing this up, or even why I asked the question (i.e. a lot of people in the U.S.), Atlanta GA is in the DEEP SOUTH, and Georgia was one of the states that seceeded to form the Confederate States of America. Locals who died in the Civil War would have been fighting AGAINST the United States, so the U.S. flag would not be appropriate.
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

71.67%--not too shabby. But the questions were all over the map. There were some philosophical ones I'm pretty sure I was never taught.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

51.67%.
                High school sophomore right here.

Not only that, I haven't received much education on American History in two years, last year we did world history (Rome, Sumerians, all that junk), and this year we did European from the Renaissance to the Cold War.

I am a pop culture nut, though.
                "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

32 / 60 - 53%, not as bad as I thought I'd do but some of the questions I got wrong I thought I got right. Too bad it doesn't show you the questions at the end with the answers also.
                  Quote Dalesys:
                  ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

This isn't really billed as a history test - more of a civics test, which includes poli-sci and history. I got 80%.

Comment

70%, same as my fellow Canadians.

I didn't know a damned thing about early American history, but the economics and philosophy questions were easy.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Matter of opinion, Boozy madear, matter of opinion.

I love history and philosophy, those questions were easy to me. But I know crap about economics. Economics, like most math, just confuses the hell out of me.
                        Because as we all know, on the Internet all men are men, all women are men and all children are FBI agents.

Comment

68.33% Not bad for a Brit.

I concur with others not so much history as politics and economics as well.
                          "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

heh. 85%. NO surprise, I love History and government, but Economics? I agree with GB Shaw- if you laid all the economists in the world end to end, they would not reach a conclusion.

Comment

Quoth ThePhoneGoddess View Post
                              Matter of opinion, Boozy madear, matter of opinion.
                              That's true, and I apologize if I made it seem like everyone should know that stuff.

I should have said, "Those subjects are easy for me because I have an interest and background in them."

Economics, by the way, is easy for most people to understand even if you do struggle with math. The problem is not finding people who grasp the concepts, but rather, people who find them interesting enough to try. Economics can make a lot of folk's eyes glaze over.
                              Last edited by Boozy; 04-21-2008, 03:15 PM. Reason: typo

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

No, no, I know exactly what you meant, Boozy. I was just teasing you, no need to apologize.

I actually have trouble with Economic concepts. They just don't make sense to me. Believe me, I have a brother with an economics degree, we've gone over this. He thinks it's funny because I'm known as the 'bright' one in the family. I can wax eloquent for hours on history, grammar, etymology, art concepts, film history, fashion history, classic literature, greek philosophy, etc. But Economic concepts for some reason make me go "Doh!" I'd love to be able to understand them, they just make my brain run in circles.
                                Because as we all know, on the Internet all men are men, all women are men and all children are FBI agents.

Comment

Working...
                                X