X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IO this is scary - is it a start?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/04/24/sam...its/index.html

Retail chain Sam's Club will limit the sale of large quantities of rice amid a dramatic increase in the global price of rice.

The store will limit customers to four 20-lb. bags of jasmine, basmati and long-grain white rice, the company said in a statement. Its restriction mainly will affect businesses that buy rice in bulk, but the company said "a typical Sam's Club Business Member does not buy more than 80 pounds of rice in one visit."
    Limiting the amount of rice someone can buy - sounds like the start of a food crisis here in the US.
    Last edited by draggar; 04-25-2008, 10:35 AM.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Unfortunately, you may be right.

It's actually a pretty serious situation all over.

The bulk bags of flour they use at my husband's restaurant went up about double what it was the last time they bought it.
    Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Costco and Walmart are doing it to. I heard that in between of hacking up my liver and my spleen while I drove home from dropping off the husband this morning.
      "The problem isn't usually that there are stupid people in the world as much as it is that the stupid people like to call or come in and point out how stupid they are to the working public" -Justa

Comment

India and Thailand just announced that they were temporarily restricting their rice exports, so this is probably in reaction to that.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

pretty scary... am I the only one that remembers that it used to be that you ate a lot of rice and pastas and grains when times were hard for you because they were cheap... now they are going up to be some of the most expensive and limited items
          If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Not quite - I'm in the wholefood industry and we sell loads of rice etc. However, everything is going up. Rice and pasta are still going to be amongst the cheapest things to eat, since everything else is doubling etc.

Rapscallion

Comment

Plus with rising fuel costs farmers can't afford to keep their farm equipment running and many more are switching from wheat to corn (for ethanol).

It's a vicious cycle that we're just starting to see.
              Quote Dalesys:
              ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Working...
              X