This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saydrah's Free Dog Food Advice

See my signature. I enjoy giving everyone pet food advice here, but in case I'm ever not on for a few days (HAH) or you just need the basics, I've turned the most important bits of my dog food advice into a blog post:

http://www.disaboom.com/Blogs/saydra...-dog-food.aspx

Feel free to contact me if you need additional assistance.
    My basic dog food advice - send a pm if you need more.

Saydrah's leaving the nest advice + packing list live here.

I had no idea. I'm going to be sure to check the ingredients on my dogs' food from now on. Thanks for posting this.

Also - your doggie is adorable!

Comment

Great little article, Saydrah.

It's a shame that first comment is from someone who failed the reading comprehension on the second paragraph.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

You do list some good foods but you missed many others.

Royal Canin makes a whole line of food made for the specifiv breed of dog (we use the GSD forumla on our GSD and malis). BARF diet is also very good (Biologically Approved Raw Food), but it is expensive.

Several of the ones you mentioned are not available nation wide, though.

But, a good article for anyone and you did hit the important point, READ THE LABEL!!

Also, feeding puppies "puppy' food isn't the best thing you can do.
        Quote Dalesys:
        ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Yeah, I think there is a line in there about All Life Stages formulas being ideal for most dogs- but large/giant breeds, especially molussers, should be fed ideally for their breed and anticipated size, and that's something I can't put a blanket recommendation on. I think talking to a breeder who emphasizes nutrition is the thing to do if you're getting a molusser or other large breed puppy- there are so many specific differences with the big guys!

Do you know if Royal Canin's formula has changed recently? The last I checked, many of their products still use corn gluten (though I believe the GSD one does not, and actually looked pretty good). I hesitate to recommend any brand that uses corn gluten, since people don't always understand that if ONE formula is good, that doesn't mean "buy anything with that logo on it."
          My basic dog food advice - send a pm if you need more.

Saydrah's leaving the nest advice + packing list live here.

Comment

I don't know about the others, we've only used the GSD forumla, but they've recently come out with other breed-specific varities. I also like the fact that it is shaped to help prevent bloat.
            Quote Dalesys:
            ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Working...
            X