Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Union Petition: Employee Free Choice Act!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Union Petition: Employee Free Choice Act!

Hey all! I am back to this site and back in retail. With my introduction (in returning members) I wanted to share with you guys this email my father sent me. It's very important for those of us involved in retail, especially those working in large corporations.

So, basically, my girlfriend used to work at Sam's Club. While she was there, at least five people were fired for saying the word "union." My father's union is proposing a national act, and hoping to get one million signatures. Basically, the petition will fight against companies that fire their employees for trying to establish unions. I've pasted the whole email below:

Hey guys,

I thought you all might want to support this?

Union or not, everyone should have a choice without management
    interference.

If you agree,...Sign it and pass it on to some of your friends
    too.

Thanks

With your help, the unions of the AFL-CIO will present the new
    president and Congress with 1 million signatures urging them to
    enact the Employee Free Choice Act. Add your name today.

The Employee Free Choice Act will:

1. Strengthen penalties against companies that coerce or
    intimidate employees trying to form unions and bargain;

2. Establish mediation and binding arbitration when the employer
    and workers cannot agree on a first contract; and

3. Enable employees to form unions when a majority signs
    authorization cards.

Sign the Online Card to help us reach our goal: 1 million
    signatures urging the new president and Congress to enact the
    Employee Free Choice Act.

http://www.unionvoice.org/campaign/e...=Y7323Bdqo1KEW

Thanks for checking it out.
    JB: Are you the grief counselor?
    GC: Oh, God, it never ends.

Cas@Mindsay

I hope something like this passes. Honest unions are the only way that individual employees have a way of getting a fair shake from huge corps.
    "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

I have no problems with employees wanting to unionize, but once a union gets too bad an too powerful they can be just as bad serving their interests first (ie large salaries for senior leaders funded by members dues) Also, I am opposed to being forced to join a union ans a condition of getting a job.

Comment

It's a good idea. Is there any way to tell how many signatures they need left?
        Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Debate on whether unions are useful or not, and good or bad is a topic for Fratching, and this solicitation for signatures probably would have been better over there as well. We'll let this stand for now, but any signs of debate and you'll have to take it over there.
          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Working...
          X