Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having come from a large family (7 kids) I guess I get a little pissy when I read all the negative and vile comments about this family, because I heard enough of them growing up.
    I read and listen to all the cruel jokes in the media and it makes me sad. When did it become such a crime to have children? I really can't believe the fuss being made.

I wouldn't have traded my place in such a large family for all the treasure in the world. I am never completely alone in the world and if I ever have any kind of problem, all I have to do is make a phone call, and I have 6 siblings at my door offering support.

I've known many really large families as I was growing up. I have an Aunt and Uncle who had 13 children. I went to school and was friends with some kids who came from a family of 13. Both of those moms are still going strong and as far as I know, haven't offered themselves up as an activity at a water park, nor have they had a zipper sewn in or a revolving door installed.

They are a decent Christian family with high morals. None of the children look any worse for wear and they certainly do not look neglected or abused.
    They do without a lot of the modern "junk" that society has convinced itself it needs to function.

As long as they are not draining the taxpayers for support, how is it anyone's business, really?
    Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

In other news, Britney Spears has more money than GOD yet can't be trusted to take care of what's left of her hair, much less her two boys.

Life's funny that way.
      "This is the first time I've seen you look ugly, and that makes me happy!"

Comment

A Fratchathon I made on this topic.
        ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

Thanks. I probably should have just made my comments there, but the joking kind of got to me, because I remember all the snide remarks made to and about our family.

One guy told my Dad he only had 2 children because he used his head, implying that my Dad was an idiot for having so many children.

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
            Their mother must be a slip and slide after having that many kids.....
            Please PM me with your real name and address. I'll forward the bills for my new shrink and any medications he prescribes.
            "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

My original post in this thread was more or less an effort to get the comments from last time out of the way. The clown car reference was something that came up a few times last time. I'm going to reserve my thoughts for Fratching.

Rapscallion

Comment

My gramma was the middle kid in a family of 13. She turned out just fine. I think one of the things with families that are so large is there HAS to be discipline and order and lines. If you have one or two kids, then you think maybe you can let junior get away with it this time. Not in a family with 10 plus kids. I say kudos to them for supporting themselves and having such a good outlook on how to manage their kids.
                The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

I'm an only child (had a brother, he died in a car crash). My mom is an only child. I'm not close with my dad's family. My wife is one of two.

So, relatively small family ... except, my wife has 14 aunts and uncles. Each has 6-8 kids.

Boatlods of cousins.
                  "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Mum's got 2 other sister, Dad has 4 other sisters, a half sister and a half brother. All the kids on my Dad's side as a ton of kids.

And, frankly, they suck. They're mean and think we're imbeciles because we like to travel and don't have boats and cars and all the damned video consoles on the market. Actually, if you can recall that fellow who was "in hock up to his eyeballs" from the Lending Tree commercial then you have my Dad's side of the family. When my Grandmother was still alive, she was PISSED one year because Dad and Mom didn't get the kids anything for Christmas. None of them had gotten anything for me and EQ. Hell, they didn't know we were even teenagers at the time!

They're not the only large family I've run into and I'm so HAPPY that some of the others aren't as rude as this lot. But mean and rude seems to be the domineering trait with large families (I'm not about to get into the SCs that are my cousins on my Mum's side).
                    Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
                      They're not the only large family I've run into and I'm so HAPPY that some of the others aren't as rude as this lot. But mean and rude seems to be the domineering trait with large families (I'm not about to get into the SCs that are my cousins on my Mum's side).
                      So, because you happen to come from a background with relatives from a large family whose members appear to be rude jerks, then as a rule, most large families have those traits??

I'm really sorry that was your experience, but that's generalizing a bit too much for my taste.

Comment

17 (soon to be 18) interchangable goody-two-shoes kidbots. Yeehaw.
                        I question my sanity every day. Sometimes it answers.

Comment

I remember seeing bits and pieces of when the house was built.
                          I really like the thoughts that went into the design.
                          One big closet by the laundry room sorted by size/ gender. I think that is fantastic and it makes it easy to help out with the laundry.
                          What I see is a family in which the parents love each and every one of their children and see everyone of them as a treasure. My other thoughts I will save for the fratching thread(I don't think they are negative or rude CS just isn't the place)

Comment

Enough people have mentioned the Fratching thread here that I think this is a good opportunity to close this one and redirect.
                            Not all who wander are lost.

Comment

Working...
                            X