This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't spit in the food

Ok, for all you servers out there... Hopefully you've heard of "Waiter Rant," a famous blog...and it's now a book and the author is Steve Dublanica.
    Anyway, here's his website http://www.waiterrant.net Very good blog, I just stumbled across it today, I was led there through the Today Show website.

Here's an excerpt from his blog (archives):

A couple of years ago we hired a waiter, whom I will call Carl, who arrived with impeccable references. A Swiss citizen, Carl had worked in some of the finest establishments all over the world. An older man, in his fifties, he knew everything there was to know about waiting tables. He could rattle off wine vintages, discuss the finer points of French and Russian service, spoke three languages, could debone a filet of sole and prepare flambé tableside. The man knew his shit.

...... Then one day Carl had a problem with a table. Two nasty old biddies, festooned in gaudy jewelry and even uglier hats, were eating lunch and were unhappy with their meal. Carl went over to resolve the problem but they bitched and sent the food back. As he turned away, plates in hand, the nastier of the two, mistaking his Swiss accent for a German one, hissed, “He’s a Nazi dear I just know it.” Carl turned around and archly replied, “There is no need to be rude madam!” and strode away.

Two days later the owner got a letter from the aforementioned biddies demanding Carl be fired. The owner laughed and told him not to worry about it. Carl was, however, shaken. I bought him a drink at the end of the shift but he seemed to be in a fog.

The next day, Friday, I was surprised to see Carl had failed to arrive for his shift. I called his home but no answer. The following day he didn’t report for work either. Maybe he quit. Maybe he was on a drunken bender. On Sunday evening the owner, who had a sense something was amiss, called the cops. They found Carl. He had been dead in his apartment for two days. Heart attack.

.... I told the owner he should write a letter to Carl’s old Nazi hunting bitches stating that:

“At our restaurant we take customer suggestions very seriously. You will no doubt be gratified to hear that the waiter in question no longer works for us, He is dead. I hope this resolves the matter to your satisfaction..."

I really enjoy this site so far....this guy's book will no doubt be a best-seller IMO.

Damn....poor Carl. RIP. I hope those Nazi bitches rot in hell!
    I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
    Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
    Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Dang I know a couple postal workers who went like that.

Hope his family is still holding up well and the blog looks good, I think I shall bookmark it.

Good find.

Comment

Being one that is constantly being told I'm a Nazi, I think they should rot in hell to!

(I have a polish last name which is why a lot of people assume I, too, am a Nazi. WTF, right?)
        Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Sad for Carl but very appropreate for the owner to send that letter to the two old hags.

Why do people assume anyone with a German (or German-like) accent is a Nazi? Talk about racism!
          Quote Dalesys:
          ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

I've been a fan of Waiter for a long time. I bought his book through Amazon and it was waiting for me when I got home yesterday. I've already started reading it, and it's very hard to put down. A fascinating, touching, hilarious read. Waiter really has a handle on the human condition.

Comment

Been reading Waiter Rant for a long time now. Very talented man. Glad to see he's getting the recognition his talent deserves.

Comment

Working...
              X