Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, my Rawking Manager and AssMan both have been snarky with the younger customers we have concerning that. The teens would throw the money/credit card at us and RM & AM both broke the teens of this habit. It's nice, but then again, as long as they're not overtly rude and condescending (they're more like, "Dude! Please, hand us your money/credit card, okay?") they can get away with it. (ex.: "I want a skittles." RM: "You can want it all you want, but here, at this store, if you want it in your hands, you must purchase the merchandise." Everyone laughs and they say "May I purchase some skittles?").

Comment

I had that happen to me the other day.
      I handed money to someone while making a purchase. I put the money IN HER HAND.
      She put the change (a note, not even coins) on the counter. HER side of the counter, resulting in me having to reach across to get it.
      I wasn't in a good mood that day, so I decided not to say anything....*sigh*
      The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

My stepsister used to work the morning shift at a convenience store. What she hated more than anything was when people would rush in, grab the newspaper, toss the money on the counter (even if there were people ahead of them in line), and run out.

That kind of behavior is downright rude, so I can understand why it upset her. In this case, however, it is all a matter of personal opinion. For some people putting the money on the counter is fine, and for others it's offensive. We could go back and forth on this 'till the cows come home, but frankly it's not worth the fuss. Save your energy for a worthier battle.

Comment

I usually prefer change to be laid on the counter, as usually I'm juggling a bunch of stuff and if it's put directly in my hand I will (and have done so) drop it anyway.

On the cashier side of the counter, it doesn't really matter as long as it's not thrown at me. I tend to prefer customers put it on the counter, as for some reason I get uncomfortable with having my hand out (if my hand is already up for bagging and they have the money ready, that's fine). At the bookstore, I actually didn't mind if commuters dumped paper-money on the counter if they had exact change and I knew what they were grabbing.

So it's basically a battle with no one right answer IMO.
          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I prefer to be handed the money but don't have a problem when it's on the counter. One thing that DOES bug me is when I get the bills first and then the change on top of the bills. It makes it harder to keep the change from dropping.
            and the funny thing is, I remember when I was a kid and change was ALWAYS done change first and then bills. Don't know why it changed (no pun intended) but to me it seemed like it switched over night to the bills first method.
            "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Sheldonrs - Not sure why it changed either.

I always hand change first and then the paper bills. But that's how I count back change. Let's say the total was $5.48 and I'm handed a $10. I get the correct amount of change out of the drawer ($4.52), then I say: "6" and hand the change over and then counting the 4 $1 bills, I say "7, 8, 9 and 10". That's how I was taught to count back change when I was working Fast Food.

Comment

When paying with huge amounts of coins, it doesn't matter if you put it in my hand or on the counter. What matters is you should count it in front of me so we both know it's correct. Second best is wait while I count it. If you just say "it's all there" or something similar and walk off before I'm done counting, and it's short, I'll call the cops. Because the most obvious explanation is that you knew it wasn't right and tried to get away with underpaying.

(I've caught a couple of people trying to get away with underpaying by a few dollars, and one guy trying to pass off three washers as 10 cent coins. All had the rest of the money in their pockets, and paid when caught out.)

ET: I've also had cases where the customer miscounted and the pile of change was a little bit over. So making the customer wait while I count protects them as well as me.

Comment

Also, in some cultures putting the money on the counter IS the polite method. In Japan they have a small dish for that - though I usually just use it for my credit card.

Comment

I also do change first, then bills; easier for me to count it out to the customer that way (and probably easier for them to see). When getting change, I can't stand coins on top of bills (as again, it usually ends with me dropping the change everywhere).
                    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I hate it when I'm handed bills & then change on top of the bills at the drive-thru! Oi. And I'll throw in a "sheesh" for good measure.

Comment

Working...
                      X