This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• really bad storm

Take a look at how close the lighting was to this guy's house and how many times it hit.

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1826558

Not sure if that was the same storm, but whether it was or not, I'd be moving and hope it doesn't follow.

He is lucky though. Strikes at that close of range have been known to be lethal.
    I AM the evil bastard!
    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
      Not sure if that was the same storm, but whether it was or not, I'd be moving and hope it doesn't follow.

He is lucky though. Strikes at that close of range have been known to be lethal.
      We had lightning hit a tree about 1/8 of a mile down the road several yeas ago. It destroyed our well, surround sound system, furnace controls, garage door opener, alarm system, computer keyboards/mice, and a few fluorescent lights. We estimated that overall their was 100K+ worth of damage on the street.

Comment

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY back when I was 8 years old, I was playing nicely in my bedrom (I hadn't turned into the little hellion I am now), when a LOUD and I mean deafeningly LOUD crack of thunder and a flash of light hit right outside my bedroom window...less then 3 feet from where I was....it had hit the chain link fence between my house and my neighbor's house...it arced onto the AC unit right under my window...and blow out the machine.

fast forward 4 years...I'm now in a different house...thunderstorms have been predicted all night, and I have my computer unplugged and turned off naturally...didn't stop the lightening from hitting the phone box OUTSIDE my window, come into the house, and fry my modem! I saw green sparks...and it turned my computer on!!! no other damage though.

and people wonder why I HATE thunder storms...and absolutly NO form of something to sit or lay on faces a window at any time EVER!
        It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

Quoth Sarlon View Post
          WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY back when I was 8 years old, I was playing nicely in my bedrom (I hadn't turned into the little hellion I am now), when a LOUD and I mean deafeningly LOUD crack of thunder and a flash of light hit right outside my bedroom window...less then 3 feet from where I was....it had hit the chain link fence between my house and my neighbor's house...it arced onto the AC unit right under my window...and blow out the machine.

fast forward 4 years...I'm now in a different house...thunderstorms have been predicted all night, and I have my computer unplugged and turned off naturally...didn't stop the lightening from hitting the phone box OUTSIDE my window, come into the house, and fry my modem! I saw green sparks...and it turned my computer on!!! no other damage though.

and people wonder why I HATE thunder storms...and absolutly NO form of something to sit or lay on faces a window at any time EVER!
          IN my case I was sitting on metal furniture on a concrete furniture at the time. Yeah, smart move. I felt a slight tingle and my friend said his chair lit up bright blue. We were not injured but when the FD arrived because of my 911 call from a cell, the strike knocked of land-lines for a short time, several neighbors came down to investigate.

Some came to watch but about 8 came down to say, yeah X appliance blow up in my house and I smell smoke, etc. Now the nearest hydrant is about a 3/4 of a mile away. So they had 9 reports of houses hit, several smell smoke. We had trucks from from three different depts. including a line of 6 tankers staged on the main road. Thankfully no fires.
          Last edited by mattm04; 08-27-2008, 05:30 AM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

One of the trees in my yard has a metal rod running through the trunk (for whatever reason), and it got hit by lightning, and exploded. When I say exploded, I mean there were chunks of scorched wood everywhere.
            "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

Working...
            X