This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mythbusters and RFID

this one deserves a separate thread from the PC/MAC one.

http://consumerist.com/5043831/mythb...security-flaws

You'll never see them do an RFID episode. The major credit card companies do NOT want the mythbusters showing the world how hackable RFID is.

Adam said that, in the planning stage, they had a conference call with some of the staff from another site and
    Quoth Adam
    Texas Instruments comes on along with chief legal counsel for American Express, Visa, Discover, and everybody else... They were way, way outgunned and they absolutely made it really clear to Discovery that they were not going to air this episode talking about how hackable this stuff was, and Discovery backed way down being a large corporation that depends upon the revenue of the advertisers. Now it's on Discovery's radar and they won't let us go near it.
    I'm totally NOT surprised. I read enough about RFID from wikipedia to know it's hackable, and that the companies don't want us knowing it.

The only RFID thing I really use - or used - was my train card in japan and never had more than 2000 ¥ on it at any one time. (a little over $20). But I still had RFID Scan-blockers around the card.
    Last edited by PepperElf; 08-31-2008, 07:14 PM.
Working...
X