X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fashion Crimes of the 80s

http://www.thefashionpolice.net/2007...n-crime-1.html

Come on, own up; how many of you owned a shellsuit?
    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
    My DeviantArt.

My grandmother still has her shellsuit. And she still wears it.

<shiver>

But I miss the acid washed demin sometimes.
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I don't get the hatin' going on toward the acid wash look myself. Some of it was extreme, but some of it was no better/worse than some of the stone washed look we have now.

I think that if you're going to rip on acid wash then I think you need to rip on some of the current trend of the pre-worn-out jeans where they make it look really light on the thighs/seat of the pants. Even worse are the jeans that are pre-stained to get that well-worn look.
      My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Comment

That wasn't a very good list!

seems like there should be much more to it!

Weren't the scrunched socks from the 80's?

Tight rolled jeans?

Comment

God yeah. Of all the 80s fashion crimes, THIS is all they could come up with? None of that is even all that bad.

Comment

The shellsuit is. XD Not just cuz it was just so terrible, but... it was also highly flammable! O.o
            People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
            My DeviantArt.

Comment

I was born in 89... I don't even know what a shell suit is!
              Carpe Jugulum : Go for the throat.

Comment

The bubble dress - which is, alas, back in fashion! !
                The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

I never owned a shell suit, my PCUs wouldn't let me have one, now I'm glad!
                  A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth flybye023 View Post
                    I don't get the hatin' going on toward the acid wash look myself. Some of it was extreme, but some of it was no better/worse than some of the stone washed look we have now.
                    I agree, acid washed jeans were great and "jean jackets" were great - they were warm, comfortable, and tough.
                    Quote Dalesys:
                    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

I had an acid wash short jacket, with shoulder pads, tassles, frogs, and a wide lapel. I didn't have any acid wash jeans, I was a metalhead. So most of my jeans were dark or even black, painted with bleach to rip the fronts ( you have to be careful not to put holes where your knees will come through.) so you could get that all important 80's metalhead spagetti-jean effect. Zipped ankles. Flat slouch boots, either red or black. Fitted midriff shirt or tight pullover. Lace tights. Black leather jacket (I had two or three). Big teased metal hair. Huge earrings.

People are suprised to find that out, I don't look like that now. My bookish, computer guru husband, too. I have a picture of him from his band days, shredding away on a custom yellow guitar in front of a Marshall stack, long, curly, black hair hanging all over the place. Looked for all the world like Slash, only without the hat and the smoke. People are all like "Holy CRAP, is that Mr. Kinkoid????"

I miss the eighties. Bang your head!

Comment

Ah...shell suits, shoulder pads, neon, jelly shoes, banana combs, Swatches, huge hair....

I miss the 80's. *sniff*
                        I question my sanity every day. Sometimes it answers.

Comment

Leg warmers not on the list? Wtf.....that trend has been back for a few years now. And leggings are back. Those look terrible on pretty much everyone.....
                          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I had all of those things on the list, and almost everything people have added to it thus far. I was so awesome.

Things I don't miss: jelly shoes (uncomfortable), big hair (too much work), shoulder pads (made me look like a pinhead).

Things I greatly miss: Leg warmers, popped collars, and neon colours. I'm still waiting for the third to make a comeback.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Popped collars made a comeback, Boozy.
                              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Working...
                              X