This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No more Bratz

Mattel wins suit against MGA, Bratz to be pulled off shelves.

Not sure if this is good or bad.

Well since Matel has won they should ay the...MGM studios I believe, for the original Bratz movie rights so that it can't be played anymore. Also all the shirts need to be paid for since a lot of people are now going to be put out of work. Oh and lets not forget all of the Bratz cartoons that little kids (and some older ones *cough*) like to watch. All those people are going to be one less of a job. So Matel should now offer them employment. And what about the different markets Bratz is in but Barbie isn't?

Comment

............................So I'm confused. Any doll that isn't a "Barbie" doll is copyright infringement?

While I do not like Bratz dolls and my daughter doesn't play with them, I don't understand this reasoning. The Bratz dolls look nothing like Barbie. If THEY'RE copyright infringement, surely the Disney dolls that look like Barbie's but aren't must be. Or all those other no name brand "fashion" dolls.

Oh, but they arne't taking millions from Mattel's pocket, are they? Silly me.
      I am Wolverine.............and Wolverine does not do high kicks.

He was a hero to me....and heroes are not supposed to die.

Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw!

Comment

Quoth persephone View Post
        ............................So I'm confused. Any doll that isn't a "Barbie" doll is copyright infringement?
        The guy who came up with Bratz did the initial designs while he was still employed w/Mattel. So unfortunately, the concepts/likenesses/et al. are now Mattel's property, pending appeal.

Yeah, I know it sucks, but honestly, the guy should have known better than to present the designs while still working for Mattel.

Unfortunately, the only people that are going to benefit from this now are collectors who will probably clear the shelves of Bratz before the holiday season is over.
        Last edited by dendawg; 12-04-2008, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Quoth dendawg View Post
          The guy who came up with Bratz did the initial designs while he was still employed w/Mattel. So unfortunately, the concepts/likenesses/et al. are now Mattel's property, pending appeal.

Yeah, I know it sucks, but honestly, the guy should have known better than to present the designs while still working for Mattel.
          Ah. THAT makes sense. I thought it just meant that he thought of it while working for Mattel (like he had the idea, but kept it to himself), not that he thought of it FOR MATTEL and presented the idea to them while working for Mattel (yes, if it makes sense, there is a difference in those two situations). Thanks for clearing it up for me!
          I am Wolverine.............and Wolverine does not do high kicks.

He was a hero to me....and heroes are not supposed to die.

Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw!

Comment

If he presented the idea to them and they rejected it then they shouldn't be allowed to cry foul now. They willing passed up on the idea.

Comment

Welcome to IP law in the US.

The long and the short of it is this: The guy who made the idea was salaried. When salaried, unless another contract is in place with the employer, every idea you have is owned by the employer.

It doesn't matter if the employer likes the idea. It doesn't matter if they choose not to pursue it. Unless the employer signs off that they're disclaiming ownership of the idea, it belongs to them.

Some areas of the US require that the idea be related to the work of the employer before they will grant ownership. So, for instance, if this guy's idea had been something like "Hey, I know how to make a better restaurant!", and he lived in such an area, the idea would be his, and Mattel could do nothing.

However, his idea was for a new line of dolls, something that I'm quite sure we can all agree is very relevant to Mattel. In other words, Bratz belongs to Mattel. The guy who went to MGA screwed up, and royally.

I don't like it, since, as a computer programmer, I find myself limited in many ways about what I can do at home, and it drives me crazy. But it is the state of the law right now.

Comment

Does this mean the existing Bratz dolls are now collectors items?
                Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

It would appear so. I bet most of the collection could be considered that.

Comment

personally i think they're using the "he worked for us" as a cop out to just squish competition. they shouldn't have a monopoly on who can and can't sell dolls.

though i personally think bratz are ugly.

but hey that means they'll be worth even more if they get legally shut down... it'll just make them collectors items. right?

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                      they shouldn't have a monopoly on who can and can't sell dolls.
                      They don't. I think you're misinterpreting the lawsuit. It wasn't a "squash the competition" it was "don't take an idea with you when you go." It was more a message to their employees, past and present, than about killing competition.
                      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Praise be! Bratz dolls are, pardon my language, little whores.
                        At least Barbie was a doctor and a teacher and a big sister. The Bratz dolls dressed like streetwalkers with their hyper-short skirts, gaudy makeup, and botoxed lips.
                        Also, they're ugly. I would not let any child of mine purchase on of those hookers in a box for anything.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                          it'll just make them collectors items. right?
                          Not. If everyone and their mother is saving them, that means Supply =/= Demand.

I think the best bet is grab and sell as fast as possible. Holding it has it's risks.

Comment

Quoth snackbandit View Post
                            Praise be! Bratz dolls are, pardon my language, little whores.
                            At least Barbie was a doctor and a teacher and a big sister. The Bratz dolls dressed like streetwalkers with their hyper-short skirts, gaudy makeup, and botoxed lips.
                            Also, they're ugly. I would not let any child of mine purchase on of those hookers in a box for anything.
                            Agreed. The way they were presented also reminded me a bit of Lisa Simpson's Malibu Stacy doll; "I wish they taught shopping at school!" and "Let's bake cookies so that the boys will like us!"

Yup; there really is a Simpsons reference for every situation.
                            People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                            My DeviantArt.

Comment

At least Barbie was a doctor and a teacher and a big sister.
                              yeah but i also remember the big stink about the barbie that said "math is hard" .

heh... kinda makes me wonder tho... if i hadn't played Frankenstine by taking the legs off my old brook shields doll and put them on barbie... would brook be worth anything these days?

Comment

Working...
                              X