X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parents made to take responsibility.

http://bigpond.com/news/topstories/c...15/2446079.asp

The comments in the ruling made me cheer, apparently South Korean courts have a sense of responsibility.

Although I'm not sure what the kid having ADHD had to do with anything.
    Last edited by Nyoibo; 12-14-2008, 10:30 PM.
    If I dropped everybody who occasionally said something stupid from my list of potential partners, I wouldn’t even be able to masturbate

Ok, so I understand that parents need to have a sense of responsibility(). But without more details, i think fining the parents of an 18 yr old rapist is a little too much. Whos to say the kid wasnt just unruly? Maybe the parents did provide education of this kind to this kid and he just chose to ignore it?

I feel bad for the girl and her family. No amount of money will make them whole again.

Comment

As big as I am on parental responsibility, there is no way in hell anyone is convincing me the parents are responsible for the actions of their ADULT son.

Eighteen years is adult. They did not have a duty of care to watch him and keep closer tabs on what he was doing. He was an adult.

Babysitting stops at 14. Parental resonsibility can go a little bit more, but these parents were essentially fined for not babysitting their 18 year old child.

What a stupid decision.

Comment

Quoth One-Fang View Post
        As big as I am on parental responsibility, there is no way in hell anyone is convincing me the parents are responsible for the actions of their ADULT son.

Eighteen years is adult. They did not have a duty of care to watch him and keep closer tabs on what he was doing. He was an adult.
        Actually, by law in South Korea he's still considered a minor, therefore as a minor his parents had a duty of care.
        If I dropped everybody who occasionally said something stupid from my list of potential partners, I wouldn’t even be able to masturbate

Comment

Quoth Nyoibo View Post
          Actually, by law in South Korea he's still considered a minor, therefore as a minor his parents had a duty of care.
          I was wondering about that.

Its just a sucky situation all the way around.

Comment

In situations like this it all comes down to the state of mind that determines whether or not the person is still a minor.

When I was 18 I knew some peers of mine in high school that I would not consider as being adults. I also knew some 15 year olds that I would have considered intelligent enough to be an adult. It all comes down to ones capacity to care for ones self.

Comment

Actually, what is the duty of care? Those of you with 15+yo kids, do you know what they're doing 24/7? Really? Your 15yo child could be out doing similar things - you wouldn't know. Should you be held responsible? I mean, you think your son's at his mates, studying for that big test, but is he...?

Okay, so South Korean law apparently determines 18 as still a minor, so by their laws this might be reasonable and sensible *there*. Still seems daft though. What're we going to do - put tracking tags on our teenagers?

Comment

Quoth One-Fang View Post
                What're we going to do - put tracking tags on our teenagers?
                I have no problem lo-jacking teenagers.

Comment

Working...
                X