This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Santa is my new hero!

No, seriously. And I don't mean the mythical guy from way up north past Nunvaut, either.

I mean a real-life Santa. This guy just absolutely rocks. The thing with the cop was especially amusing.

Yes, Virginia. There really IS a Santa Claus.
    Last edited by Jester; 12-27-2008, 05:07 AM.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

THINK he means to post

Which is part of This story

Comment

Damn it. Why didn't that post? Ah, I know. I posted as an image something I meant to be a link. The link is now fixed. Enjoy the story!

Thanks for bringing that to my attention, dude.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

Rocks?

He gets off (well deserved) speeding tickets because "he's santa" and gets enough from the gigs to go on Caribbean holidays?

I would say he's an astute business man and a pretty good Santa. I would hold off on the hero status until he either donates the proceeds or does it gratis/cost or something.

Comment

Quoth One-Fang View Post
          I would hold off on the hero status until he either donates the proceeds or does it gratis/cost or something.
          I agree, maybe, that Santa might not exactly deserve "hero" status, but why should he do it for free? He's providing a service people want. Why SHOULDN'T he be paid? That's kind of like saying a doctor that invents a new procedure that would do things painlessly or a cure for cancer should do so for free. Would he not be a hero? Are our police or firefighters who save people not heroes because they get paid to do that?

Just because you get paid for providing a service does not mean said service is not good or any less impressive.
          I am Wolverine.............and Wolverine does not do high kicks.

He was a hero to me....and heroes are not supposed to die.

Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw!

Comment

Which is why I did say he's an astute businessman. Please note that I quite carefully said he gets "hero" status if he gives it away, not that he must give it away to get any kind of respect at all. He's obviously a very good Santa, and they clearly put a lot of work and effort into their business. They should be adequately compensated.

I just wouldn't say this guy is "my new hero" personally, unless he were being altruistic.

Comment

While it's a very nice story, as the daughter of a man who played Santa for years and refused to take a dime for it, colour me not overly impressed.
              I wouldn't use the term "hero" here, either, although he probably brings just as many smiles to the faces of children and adults alike, and that's what the role of Santa is all about.

Granted, my Dad didn't let the persona take over his life to the same degree. I'm sure it costs a lot to maintain the illusion, as well as travel expenses, and such.

On a related note, I always laugh when I see elderly, heavyset men with white beards, and watch the reaction of small children.
              The day I injured my knee, I sat in the ER for 3 hours. There was a man matching that description, and there was a woman beside me with a little boy who was remarkably well behaved. (All the children in the ER that day were well behaved. It was the teens who were annoying. )
              When the man was called in to the ER, the little boy looked up and whispered, "Mommy, is that Santa?"

It was a bright spot in the middle of the pain I was in.
              Last edited by Ree; 12-30-2008, 12:29 AM.
              Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Quoth One-Fang View Post
                I just wouldn't say this guy is "my new hero" personally, unless he were being altruistic.
                Okay, I misunderstood. I agree that the "hero" status is a bit much. Sorry! Didn't mean to misunderstand your intentions!
                I am Wolverine.............and Wolverine does not do high kicks.

He was a hero to me....and heroes are not supposed to die.

Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw!

Comment

Nonetheless, bottom line, he is a pretty cool guy. Thanks Jester, for providing the link.

Comment

Working...
                  X