Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting - comet hit North America about 13,000 years ago..

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting - comet hit North America about 13,000 years ago..

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/science...nds/index.html

I find this story interesting - not only did it reduce the number of early humans (native Americans were here around that time) but caused the extinction of several animals, including the woolly mammoth.

I wonder what affect this had on today? 12,900 years is no time in the global history so I'm thinking it could have had drastic affects on how we live today?

Another interesting point:

This happened about 12,900 years ago and triggered a cold spell (mini ice age?) that lasted about 1300 years, ending about 11,600 years ago, just when the earliest hints of a "civilization" started.
    Last edited by draggar; 01-02-2009, 11:33 AM.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Nice find. I believe the start of the civilization at that time isn't coincidental to the ending of the mini-ice age. Also I've found that some of the fiction books of the People series do have some basis. I believe it was People of the Wolf that would go with this one. Not more of the 'magic' parts but with the burying methods.

I know my family originally came over on the ice bridge and then off the ice before settling in lower Canada-land and Northern Michigan/Wisconsion. Maybe that mini ice age is HOW they were able to do such a thing.

Comment

I think native Americans were here before that - they had already crossed and there was no ice bridge at this time, the ice age that followed (I would think) wouldbe very similar to the one that hit North America, Europe (and other areas) in the mid 1800's.

But - the affects of this event caused the extinction of many larger mammals, including the big game (mammoths) which might have forced some tribes to settle down instead of following herds?
      Quote Dalesys:
      ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Working...
      X