X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Circuit City Auction Progresses

Bloomberg Article

They may have been a competitor of ours, but I can't help but feel sympathy for my counterparts who are losing their jobs. I wish them all a speedy return to the workforce.
    Last edited by Mike Taylor; 01-15-2009, 01:14 AM.
    "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

I... feel like crying now. I think I will go take some simply sleep. At least in my dreams this isn't happening to my job.

Comment

I've been in your situation. I hate store closings, especially when you've been there for a long time and developed lasting friendships.
      "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

Ironically I saw a "hiring" sign in our local store a few weeks ago. It appears that they have both liquidation offers and other options still available.

Comment

Looks like it's all over for this incarnation of Circuit City.

CNN Link

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Bankrupt electronics retailer Circuit City Inc. said Friday it has asked for court approval to close its remaining 567 U.S. stores and sell all its merchandise.
          34,000 people looking for new jobs... damn.

And it ain't just CC that's feeling it.
          Last edited by Mike Taylor; 01-16-2009, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Screw it, I'm burying this store. I loved it. I hated it. New management came, and I loved it more than ever. I'm staying until the shelves and counters are gone. I'm going to help rip them out of the ground.

Comment

Quoth Pezzle View Post
              Screw it, I'm burying this store. I loved it. I hated it. New management came, and I loved it more than ever. I'm staying until the shelves and counters are gone. I'm going to help rip them out of the ground.
              That's how I did it with FAO Schwarz. I stayed until everything was gutted. Even took some parts of the store home with me. Once we were done, we had a big send-off party at a friend's house and got nasty drunk. I still talk to the old crew on occasion, too.

Comment

I have been reading some comments on blogs about CC closing. The numebr of EW's complain about the store because they tried to return a defective item 45 days when the return policy is 30 days is amazing.

I never had a problem at CC. If a employee didn't have the answer they did their best to get it. Less competition will be bad for consumers in the end.

Comment

Fuck 'em. Feed 'em beans.

One of the things you'll learn about a store closing is that there are fewer restrictions on putting an SC in their place, especially on that last day. Boy does it feel good tell them what you REALLY think of them.

Comment

Okay, I'll admit...I went into the local CC today because I was looking for some RAM and a computer monitor and I usually would hit up all the electronics stores looking for the best deal. This was stop three of five I did at local electronic stores.

It was a damn madhouse in there. I was kind of disgusted at how many people came out...like damn vultures.

One woman-- "Why isn't this lower?! Aren't you going out of business?!"

I mean, come on...let's rub it in the employees' faces even more. It's not like they announce they go out of business and the next day, everything is 75% off.

Comment

By the time prices reach 75% off, there's not much left worth getting.

Comment

Quoth Mike Taylor View Post
                        Bloomberg Article

They may have been a competitor of ours, but I can't help but feel sympathy for my counterparts who are losing their jobs. I wish them all a speedy return to the workforce.
                        I definitely feel for the workers that will lose their jobs, however, there is some satisfaction in that the company is going down the tubes. Upper management got exactly what they deserved after the way they treated their long time employees by cutting them for cheaper labor. I guess they didn't realize good sales people can go a long way towards their bottomline. If any of you CSers are CC employees; best of wishes to you all.

Comment

Quoth volatile View Post
                          I definitely feel for the workers that will lose their jobs, however, there is some satisfaction in that the company is going down the tubes. Upper management got exactly what they deserved after the way they treated their long time employees by cutting them for cheaper labor. I guess they didn't realize good sales people can go a long way towards their bottomline. If any of you CSers are CC employees; best of wishes to you all.
                          Upper management has been fail for a while.

Comment

Quoth volatile View Post
                            Hopefully this will become the lesson corporate suits everywhere learn--you get what you pay for, and cutting experienced employees in favor of cheaper labor will result in decreased sales HA HA DISREGARD THAT I CRACK ME UP SOMETIMES
                            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I saw a little bit of fallout from the Circuit City crash today...

Circuit has stopped their in-store installation services. We're right in the middle of the busiest time of the year for car audio installation; in particular, lots of people (in Northern states) received remote start systems for Christmas, and still need to have them installed.

When you buy a remote starter at Circuit (and at my store) part of what you're paying is the labor cost for installation. In fact, for a basic remote start system, the cost of installation is usually higher than the cost of the product itself.

We had a customer today that purchased a remote starter at Circuit City, only to learn that the installation is no longer available. The customer tried to return the product (of course), but he was told that he'd have to pay a "restocking fee". Now he'll either have to return it and lose the fee, pay over $100 more to have it installed elsewhere, or try to do it himself.
                              Lack of freedom can be measured directly by lack of stupid. --Penn Jillette

Comment

Working...
                              X