This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Profanity

South Carolina considers new law aimed at preventing profanity in public forums. It's unlikely that it'll fly, and if it does somehow pass, it'll get shot down by the courts as being unconstitutional.

Here is the bill itself.

Ya gotta wonder what this country is coming to.

Eric the Grey
    In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

And how does the state of South Carolina plan on enforcing this? A squadron of cyber-sleuths, all on the taxpayer's dime, going through every single Web forum post with a profanity in it and tracing IPs and ISPs to someplace in South Carolina?

I guess those legislators have to earn their pay somehow. What a bunch of fucking morons. Come and get me.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

*sigh* Yeah cause profanity is such a threat to this country.

Comment

Oh, they'll enforce it the same way they enforce the sodomy laws.

Oh...wait....

Sigh. Gotta love this place.

Comment

Let's kiss the first amendment goodbye

Because if this is passed, then what other rights will they decide to take away?

First it will be language they disapprove of... next it will be opinions they disapprove of.

Eventually it will end in government controlled-thinking.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
            Eventually it will end in government controlled-thinking.
            You may joke...

Luckily, it's not real.

And to think, I'm moving to Boulder in June...

Eric the Grey
            In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
              And how does the state of South Carolina plan on enforcing this? A squadron of cyber-sleuths, all on the taxpayer's dime, going through every single Web forum post with a profanity in it and tracing IPs and ISPs to someplace in South Carolina?
              It's better. Let's take this site for example.

Domain Registrar (where / who the domain is registered at/with): TuCows - based in Toronto, Ontario (Canada).

Host / DNS: 123-REG.CO.UK - based in Stockley Park / Uxton, Great Britain.

So now we're dealing with Canada and UK laws. If I was in SC and started to swear on this forum (damn it) then they would have to get the IP logs from this site - which TECHNICALLY Raps doesn't have to give, even with a US court order (and I'm sure Canadian & UK authorities have better things to do than to track down someone who is swearing).

Unless it is 100% in the US, it will be very difficult to pursue - even if it is in the US the other states involved would have to cooperate - which they have more important things to worry about.

Quoth SG15Z View Post
              *sigh* Yeah cause profanity is such a threat to this country.
              Watch the movie "Demolition Man". (it has a humorous twist on this and an alternative to toilet paper).
              Last edited by draggar; 01-16-2009, 11:28 AM.
              Quote Dalesys:
              ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

So now we're dealing with Canada and UK laws
                Slightly Off Topic but you reminded me of a story one of my old friends told me... some programmers made an encryption program that was very good. in fact i think they offered x amount of $ to anyone who could hack it.. then they got a request (demand) from the US government for access to the code so they could decrypt any messages they saw with it. ... the programmers said hell no and moved the company to canada to avoid having to give up the access.

but back on topic... I soo hate this idea.
                i think bad language is a personal thing... besides what is going to determine bad language?

Hell i can say "Bless you" in such a way that you know i'm really saying "fuck you"...

Comment

Working...
                X