This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill would require employers to give reason for firing

There were several places on the site where I suppose this could be posted, but I figured this is the safest one.

This article is pretty interesting- the proposed bill would require employers to give employees an explanation as to why they're on the chop block, and allow the employees "meaningful opportunities to respond."

Don't know how I feel about this- Nebraska is an at-will state, meaning that either employer or employee can terminate employment at any time for any (legal) reason (or lack thereof). Given that, an explanation for firing seems more of a courtesy than anything- should it be legislated?
    Ah, tally-ho, yippety-dip, and zing zang spillip! Looking forward to bullying off for the final chukka?

Interesting.... but as long as employers can lie, and the word of the employee (or facts) aren't considered, it 'd probably make things worse. It might prevent problems though too -- like if an employee's fired for "missing too much work", and it's proved that the timecard the employee had wasn't working right or something - they hadn't been missing work.

Comment

it could be good, because the employer cant fire someone because they are retiring in 2 monthes that way because they would have to explain, but bad because employers might start setting up employees

Comment

I worked at a tech support company awhile ago and their firing practices were similar to this.
        One example, we had the worst guy ever for tech support in my dept. He was terrible. Once while listening in for quality checks a customer asked if the tech was retarded.

Because the company was so very worried about being sued it took 6 months to fire the guy.

1st he was told of his 'weak' areas
        2nd he had to sign paper work saying he understood his weak areas and would be given training in those area and if there was no improvement he might be fired.
        3nd giving extra training
        4rd someone had to sit with him to monitor his calls and offer suggestions
        5th after 2 months they reviewed everything, he still sucked.
        6th repeat all of the above
        7th 4 months in, review, still suck, rinse/repeat
        8th 6 months later he was fired for not being able to improve in his weak areas.

This was all just to fire someone that was pretty much computer clueless but fearful of a lawsuit saying he wasn't given proper warning of this problem and given the chance to improve.
        Sadly the reason for all of this was because a few people did sue and they won.

But as for my thoughts, if I was fired because of performance I might be inclined to make in issue about it.
        Miyon

Seduce, Let Loose, The Vision and The Void - Coil

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain - Blade Runner

Comment

Miyon that's EXACTLY why some business owners I know would likely not want this law to be passed. My one buddy's thing is that "It's MY business. I assume all the risks, so I run it MY way. If you don't perform up to MY standards to the terms that we both agreed on when you were hired then you're gone." Of course, come to think of it, I can see his point of view because, ultimately, you do not have a right to a job. You ONLY have the right to pursue it.

Comment

Quoth JLRodgers View Post
            Interesting.... but as long as employers can lie, and the word of the employee (or facts) aren't considered, it 'd probably make things worse.
            My last real boss convinced himself that I was the reason his online sales initiative was failing (never mind that he didn't have stuff the ebay crowd wanted and would not listen to my ideas/requests for improvement).

Way back before I was born, my dad was framed by a vindictive coworker whom the boss believed...and since the position involved sensitive government info, that boss' firing decision was not questioned by a lot of people. So there's that angle to consider as well (nasty CW and a boss that believes them).
            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth ditchdj View Post
              Miyon that's EXACTLY why some business owners I know would likely not want this law to be passed.
              To me its a double edged sword.

From my above example, taking 6 months to fire someone that couldnt do his job to save his life sucked. We got so many complaints about him. It would have been nice to say after one week "This isnt the job for you, byebye" The law will make it harder to fire these people and that sucks. But it could help in preventing expensive lawsuits that will hurt the company more.

But as an employee, like Dreamstalker's examples, this law would be a good way to avoid being fired because of a shitty CW or Boss.

Its a win/win, lose/lose issue to me.
              Miyon

Seduce, Let Loose, The Vision and The Void - Coil

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain - Blade Runner

Comment

Working...
              X