This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some people are...

Can you say entitled? I just KNOW you can!

I spent an HOUR arguing over this article with my stubborn and rather deaf father-in-law. He AGREES with this woman.

(I keep reminding myself that I married INTO this family, I wasn't born into it, and I'm more convinced than ever that the Hubster was actually adopted.)
    What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

I agree that the woman in the story was in the wrong. But I also see the point the article is making in that immobilizing her car instead of having it towed was fairly extreme. Especially having someone show up and immediately demand she pay them to have the immobilization removed. I wonder if the tow the car of people who refuse to pay and just leave their car there.

Comment

What if she was going to the restaurant after the bank? Theoretically, to get money for it?

Other then that, I can't really comment on the issue.
      Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I applaud the businesses. Fuck you if you can't read the sign. You were warned. Don't park your damn car there. Period.

Chanlin, I tend to disagree on the towing thing. I mean, I'd think it'd be worse to come back and find your car GONE rather than being able to have the boot removed and go on your way. If I'm not mistaken, the tow would probably cost more as well. *shrug* just my 2 cents.
        I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

I completely agree with DesignFox.

If only they had those boots where I live, when random asshats park in MY parking spot and I have to park on the street. I call the landlord and he says there is nothing he can do about it, just give him the plate # make and model and we'll see if it happens again. Uh huh.

Next time someone parks in my spot, I'm calling the cops and having them call a tow truck, and telling them that my landlord keeps telling me there is nothing he can do. It's private property. Unless you live here, you CAN'T park here.

Same goes for businesses.
          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Wait. Woman claimed the guy issuing the ticket lowered the price when she complained? That smells fishy to me.
            Happiness is the exercise of vital powers along lines of excellence in a life affording you scope.

Comment

Mr. Cantwell insists the wheel clamps are legal, but Halifax lawyer Walter Thompson called their use "arbitrary and high-handed."

No, I'd call that forewarned and legitimate. Had there been no sign to that effect, however.

The idea of it being illegal to tamper with the car is an interesting one when it comes to boots. They don't tamper with the car. The vehicle is not compromised or effected in any way. It's really no different to, say, constructing a quick-set concrete wall around the vehicle. Either way, your vehicle is entirely un-interfered with, but you're not going anywhere.

Comment

They use the boots in Washington DC. I wish they had them in Northern Virginia. (If they do have them here, then I haven't seen them). I like the idea. I agree that it would be worse to find your car absolutely GONE instead of the boot. And there is a sign, then yeah, you're stupid for parking there & deserve what they get.

Comment

"It’s like a terrorist tactic," she said Wednesday. "I don’t think Halifax is ready for this."
                  I got that far and immediately wrote her off. No further reading required.

Because finding a yellow slab on your tire when you knowingly broke the law is comparable to being blown up just for walking here.
                  "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

Quoth Talon View Post
                    Wait. Woman claimed the guy issuing the ticket lowered the price when she complained? That smells fishy to me.
                    Except since it's a private ticket, with not much enforcement potential behind it, the company that wrote it can change the amount. Frankly, I think it'd be funny if they booted the cars, then called the police to issue trespass infractions to the drivers, since there's irrefutable proof the driver was on the property, and not patronizing the business.
                    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I lived just off Quinpool Road when I was in college. Parking IS kind of a problem, and businesses guard their few spots quite intensely. Add to that, a lot of the parking is actually behind the businesses and you have to know the side streets to actually find it.

You can park at the curb in spots, but the other problem is that people don't want to walk half a block from the empty meter to their destination. They want to park as close to the door as the laws of physics and downtown Halifax will permit. So you get a lot of people parking in lots of businesses they're not patronizing.

I'm actually surprised this didn't start a long time ago. I just couldn't get past the invincible entitlement of this woman. I'm glad I don't live downtown anymore.
                      What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

A sign in the Subway lot clearly indicates it’s for customers only and that other cars will be immobilized or towed away at the owner’s expense.
                        Yes this applies to you too lady!

Comment

Working...
                        X