X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stephen King weighs in on Stephenie Meyer

What Stephen King has to say

I find it interesting. How many Meyer fans are going to burn King in effigy?

Finally!

Other than this website, all I have seen is how great Twilight is.

GAG.

<---------all for Stephen King.

Comment

Titanic - The Boat + "Vampires" = Twilight
      The New Orleans Saints are your 2009 NFL champions.

Believe dat.

Comment

actually in a way... they're very similar to me.

no, wait, don't throw the tomatoes just yet... I promise i'm not completely insane.

1) They both evoke strong feelings in the books through use of particular phrases or words
        2) yet they both get criticized over the use of such... and often it's said that if you took away those specific phrases that evoke strong feelings, that you'd have a crappy story.

but o well, i like both of them.
        (tho the sick side of me says, that's when i start putting their books side by side, so they can cuddle up together on the bookshelf. hey i said i wan't completely insane, never said i wasn't twisted lol)

Comment

I wonder what Stephen King would do if I showed him My Immortal or that other crappy-ass fanfic.

Naaah, I'm not that cruel. Yet.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I just came across that article myself and it made me laugh.

I wonder if she will have a response?

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
              I wonder what Stephen King would do if I showed him My Immortal or that other crappy-ass fanfic.
              Drive a stake through his computer screen?
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Nah, he didn't savage her too badly. He didn't like her writing, but understood what she was trying to do.

Now if you want brutality, let Harlan Ellison read Twilight and then have HIM critique it.
                "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

Its funny, when I read that he had said they were similar I was like

NO WAY at least JK rowling knows how to form a sentance! Then I finished reading .... phew

although JK got a lot of heat when her books were first published for being formuleaic
                  I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

I see Mr King and I agree on something. Finally.
                    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I would pay Good Money to See Harlan Ellison Utterly ~Rip~ Twilight several new, and totally extraneous orifices.

(I've met the guy; He literally Personifies Curmudgeon)

Comment

I hate Twilight and Stephenie Meyer with the burning passion of 1000 white-hot suns. I could be here all night typing about said hatred, but I'll just say that Stephen King is right. Meyer couldn't write her way out of a Ziploc bag.
                        I question my sanity every day. Sometimes it answers.

Comment

Personally, I'm fine with formulaic books: authors have to earn a living too! Some of my fav books are the Redwall series: I love them dearly, but can also admit that really only about 1 in 5 is particularly good.

However, badly written formulaic books with no character development that toss ALL established mythos out the window? Gag. A GOOD formulaic book knows how to work the genre.

But I'll say on Meyers behalf: the woman can actually write, I loved her book The Host. But Twilight is just awful.
                          "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

I heard The Host was good from Lupo. I'm starting to think she just wrote Twilight as a money making scheme that actually worked.
                            Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Didn't Charles Dickens do the same thing with A Christmas Carol? You know, write it for purely monetary reasons?

I can't stand Twilight, but my wife loves it. I bought her the 4th book on CD and I even sat through that crap movie, though. I told her I will NOT watch the others at all. We'll see how long that lasts.
                              Last edited by Nurian; 02-06-2009, 12:58 PM. Reason: Insomnia does not make for good grammer.
                              I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

Working...
                              X