Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So... does this mean we're aliens? (Important if true)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So... does this mean we're aliens? (Important if true)

http://www.viewzone.com/milkyway.html

According to my cousin, this isn't a prank. (granted, I know nothing about the site, but it's interesting anyway.)
    What if Humans are just Dire Halflings?

You know I've always had the thought that we all evolved from different animals and just kinda merged after thousands of years to look similear. But then I'm weird.

But yea...to what I know...sounds reasonable.

Comment

The geek in me was fascinated. Thanks for posting.

This cleared up a question I couldn't figure out. (not trying to start a 12/21/12 debate) but one of the 'signs' is the alignment of our solar system with the galactic equator, or galactic plane. I didnt understand how our solar system wasn't in alignment already, just as earth and the other planets in our solar system align with our sun.
      That article made it all make sense. We aren't in alignment because our solar system wasn't created in the milky way and wasn't gravitationally affected by the galactic equator.

(super geek mode) that is a freaken amazing discovery.
      Miyon

Seduce, Let Loose, The Vision and The Void - Coil

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain - Blade Runner

Comment

*Warning geek levels rising*

OMG, that's so fascinating!! Man what a find!! Goodbye Milky Way. You've been a wonderful parent but I can't live a lie anymore. Don't worry, Pluto will keep you company.

Comment

I don't care if it is an April Fool's joke or not - that is an incredible read!
          Quote Dalesys:
          ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Interesting but lost me at the "global warming" part...

Comment

Quoth Buglady View Post
              Interesting but lost me at the "global warming" part...
              From what I understand it's saying that we're warming up because the sun is being heated up from the energies that the Milky Way system is giving it. If it is true and I think it is, we're originally from a low power system and being adopted into a high power system.

So no...not aliens, but we're the adopted kids.

Comment

YOU guys may be adopted but I was born a Sagittarian.
                "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
                  YOU guys may be adopted but I was born a Sagittarian.
                  Same here!
                  Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Well, that site is not an April Fools joke, I've seen it before. Nor is it scientifically accurate.

First, there is no reason that all planetary systems would need to align with the galactic plane. Not all stars spin even to the galactic plane - they exist in a band that is lightyears in vertical height relative to the horizontal of the plane of the ecliptic.

The dust clouds that eventually form planets would most likely be dragged into alignment with the their star's spin, given that the slight equatorial bulge creates just a minor increase in the star's gravity well along that plane. Not all stars spin in line with the galactic plane of the ecliptic. In fact, in our solar system, most of the planets orbit about 7 degrees off from the solar plane of the ecliptic. Pluto is considerably further off - passing thru the plane while generally orbiting over or under the plane.

And, I might add, don't forget Earth itself has an axial tilt of 23 degrees due to the Moon's gravitational pull. Take in a galaxy's worth of planetary systems and I bet you find all sorts of orientations due simply to gravitic interactions. Between the orientation of Earth's orbit and our axial tilt you would most definitely be viewing the Milky Way at an angle that does correspond to the galactic plane of the ecliptic.

We do, of course, come quite close to matching the galactic plane. This is easily observed: The Milky Way appears as a band across the sky because we are viewing the galaxy's edge, regardless of the locally subjective angle to the Earth's rotation. Sol revolves around the Milky Way, Earth revolves around Sol and spins on its axis. Is it any real surprise that we're not exactly even with the galactic plane of the ecliptic when we look up? It would be far more surprising if we were even with it.

Global warming is not being caused by the Milky Way being 'high energy' while our solar system is from a 'low energy' system. That's just complete and utter garbage. In fact, you won't find any real scientific references to galaxies based on some sort of relative energy state. That's not science; it's science fiction. Even if something like this were the case, it does not explain the previous global warming/cooling cycles in the millions upon millions of Earth's geologic history.

Just a quick global warming counterpoint for you: While a clear correlation does not prove causation, it is suspicious that the rise in global temperatures coincides directly with industrialization of human society. I'm not saying we're the cause, but we're certainly a plausible suspect.

I'm quite certain that this website was created by someone in a tin foil hat. The real clue is that the outside references in no way, shape, or form refer to Earth as being part of the dying galaxy. Everything the website author postulates is, at best, completely tangential to the study referenced.

In fact, look at this quote that they used: "For only a few percent of its 240 million-year orbit around the Milky Way galaxy does our Solar System pass through the path of Sagittarius debris," Majewski said.

That quote clearly implies that the real scientists performing the study are quite certain that Sol is a part of the Milky Way.

Sorry folks, but this entire website (except perhaps the quotes) is just a case of crazy and/or shennanigans.

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
                      Same here!
                      Double same
                      Miyon

Comment

Quoth Gerrinson View Post
                        Sorry folks, but this entire website (except perhaps the quotes) is just a case of crazy and/or shennanigans.
                        Well all I can say to your scientific reasoning is
                        Its still freaken cool. And they had pretty pictures.
                        Miyon

Comment

Quoth Gerrinson View Post
                          Well, that site is not an April Fools joke, I've seen it before. Nor is it scientifically accurate.

(snip)
                          Party pooper.
                          Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Quoth Miyon View Post
                            Its still freaken cool. And they had pretty pictures.
                            Sorry, I don't find pseudo scientific crap to be cool. Mostly because I've dealt with too many misinformed people who totally f*** things up. In fact, I have an incurable disease due to the fact that someone I knew didn't believe said disease was communicable - even though the doctors said it was. So now I'm infected, have to deal with the symptoms, and do my best not to transmit to anyone else. Misinformation is bad. Purposeful or willful ignorance is worse. Meh, sorry for the rantiness, but it's a serious pet peeve of mine.

But I do agree they nabbed some nice images. If you want to see some really cool pics of the sun (and other stuff) check out this link:

http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/gallery/images.html

Quoth draggar View Post
                            Party pooper.
                            Well, okay, you've got me there.

Comment

Working...
                            X